- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alleycat?...1961 Skylark Dynaflow...can't get past 50 mph!!

I really need to find a manual so I can figure out how to set it. When I adjust it out so that there is more slip on the tv rod it will upshift but I still have to release my foot from the throttle.
    Here are a few pics of the tranny;

I removed the screen filter and cleaned it. It seemed dirty along with the fluid.
    Why does it feel as if this is a 2-speed "Dynaflow"??

Thanks again for the response.

BloodyKnuckles
    Iron Lords c.c.

The "Bloody Garage"

>1931 Model A Coupe
    >1951 Plymouth Cambridge
    >1954 Desoto Powermaster
    >1961 Buick Skylark

BTT.

Thanks,

BloodyKnuckles
    Iron Lords c.c.

The "Bloody Garage"

>1931 Model A Coupe
    >1951 Plymouth Cambridge
    >1954 Desoto Powermaster
    >1961 Buick Skylark

Alleycat?...1961 Skylark Dynaflow

So did anyone ever identify BloodyKnuckles' tranny in his '61 Skylark? Dynaflow? Dualpath? Cuz I have the exact same tranny in my '63 Skylark convertible, and it also says "Dynaflow" on the side of the housing.
    It would sure help to know what it is for future reference - so thanks for any help here.

cheers, Big57daddy

Quote Originally Posted by big57daddy View Post
    So did anyone ever identify BloodyKnuckles' tranny in his '61 Skylark? Dynaflow? Dualpath? Cuz I have the exact same tranny in my '63 Skylark convertible, and it also says "Dynaflow" on the side of the housing.
    It would sure help to know what it is for future reference - so thanks for any help here.

cheers, Big57daddy
    I didn't recieve much help here but through my research I found that it is called a Dual Path 2-speed. They were never very good from the factory and only lasted a few years in production. A common 2-speed swap is a powerglide, they're small and pretty much bulletproof. I will be replacing mine in the near future with either a powerglide or a 700r4. From what I've been told by old-time tranny guys is it's not worth rebuilding one of these trannys.
    Hope this helps.

BloodyKnuckles
    Iron Lords c.c.

The "Bloody Garage"

>1931 Model A Coupe
    >1951 Plymouth Cambridge
    >1954 Desoto Powermaster
    >1961 Buick Skylark

Tranny Name Speculation?

GM had a whole pile of different transmissions back then. Slim Jims, dual path, Jet Aways, Dual range hydros, Super Turbines, Turboglide etc. I'm gonna guess that this tranny was built by a different division of GM and Buick didn't want to use the other divisions name for the tranny. So being that it was a two speed and all the old Dynaflows were two speeds that they just kinda kept using the name. Did they ever make an aluminum Dynaflow? The one behind my '49 320 straight 8 is cast iron and heavy as hell. I had a '63 Riv for awhile but I never looked to see what the tranny case was made of.

Thanks, guys!
    Yep - sounds like the Powerglide swap is the way to go.
    But then how much does the propeller shaft need to be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyKnuckles View Post
    I really need to find a manual so I can figure out how to set it. When I adjust it out so that there is more slip on the tv rod it will upshift but I still have to release my foot from the throttle.
    Here are a few pics of the tranny;

I removed the screen filter and cleaned it. It seemed dirty along with the fluid.
    Why does it feel as if this is a 2-speed "Dynaflow"??

Thanks again for the response.

BloodyKnuckles
    Hello everyone, new to this forum.
    My 1962 buick special has the same transmission.
    I don't plan to swap it out anytime soon, but I would like to know where I could find the gasket seal for the transmission pan.
    I need a new one and I can't seem to find it anywhere!
    If someone does know please let me know.

Thank you!

If the screen in the transmission is clean the problem isnt there. If the car engages into Reverse fine the pressure valve in the pump is functioning fine. Reverse takes the most pressure to use in an auto transmission. If the TV cable is set too tight it will not up shift cause you're telling the transmission to stay in first gear. If its too loose it will shift too early but it will shift and not slip. If the band adjustments inside the transmission are correct your high gear clutches are either bad or the lip seal behind the piston for the clutch pack is allowing fluid by. I'm not one that endorses additives or any fix it in a bottle but you can add Lucas No Slip to your transmission oil which should soften up the lip and allow it to seal better if it isnt torn. It also should help the friction plates out some too. If the oil smells burnt than its already too late. Good luck.

Don't forget the Powerglide is a chevy tranny which will require the use of an adapter plate and has a different shift pattern. Go to Nailheadbuick.com and talk to Russ who is a Nailhead expert. He has adapter plates for multiple trannys and he could tell you who has the parts for them.