Thread: Broken Bar On 1964 Lesabre From Axle To Body ..what Is It Called ??

Broken Bar On 1964 Lesabre From Axle To Body ..what Is It Called ??

Hello all...this is my 1st post....I have recently purchased a 1964 Lesabre ...with a 300 4.9 .....now Iam having a problem with a bar that seems to connect to the axle and than to the body on the passenger side...it is bolted to the axle..but seems like it was only welded to the body frame...is this true ?? was there a bracket suppose to be there ?? or just welded..and what is the name of this bar..so I can try to locate another.....it looks like a I BEAM ..there is just one of them on the rear suspension....when I step on the brakes the back passenger side lifts of the frame...I am assuming this is because the bar is not attached....I am also looking for a few parts for this car...mainly bumbers..any help would be great.....car runs like a champ.. a few rust spots....but I love it anyways !!! email me at carriercab99yahoo.com

Ross Barker Guest

I broke one of those once

I broke one of those once, I was coming down a long hill just north of the California Border in a '64 Wildcat Convertible with the top down and a trailer loaded with tools and engines behind, Man that trailer pushed us all the way down the hill all over the place because of that Broken control bar, touch the brake and the car would go right, off the brake and the car would speed up, out of control, finally using the gears we got it down to a safe speed and right there at the bottom of the hill was a wrecking yard, they had a '64 Buick and we replaced the Part, lucky I guess, but then this was about 1978 and '64 Buicks were common in wrecking yards. This was a bolt in part, there is suppose to be a bracket welded to the frame, look on the other side on your car.

--
    With Best Regards From
    Ross and Eye Barker

i think what you are looking at is a factory installed traction bar. It should have a bolt on bracket on each end. hopes this helps

Hey cr8zyjoker-
    I drive a '64 Electra and I couldn't make sense of your post so I went to my chassis service manual ( I strongly suggest you get one if you're going to keep your car).
    Our rear ends use coil springs on lower control arms, if you broke one of those your coil spring would probably be gone so I'm guessing you are either talking about the track bar (this bar is tubular steel,about 3ft long, parallel to rear end, rubber bushed ends. The "track bar" is a panard bar that locates rear axle housing so it can't move laterally (left & right), attached via rubber bushing to bracket on pass. side of rear end and attached at other end to the drivers side FRAME)
    Or, the other possibility is there's a single adjustable upper control arm which is located on the pass side. it is only about 10-12" long, rubber bushed, has series of slotted holes, attached between the forward side of the track bar bracket on the rear end and a bracket on the FRAME side rail.
    The upper control arm keeps the axle housing from rotating during braking and acceleration and it's also a means for adjusting your pinion/driveshaft/u-joint angle.
    It's my guess that this is what you broke.
    There should be a bracket on the inside of the right frame rail.
    in any case, I hope this helps narrow down the part and the proper names.
    If you figure out what you need, you might try Cars in N.J. (908) 369-3666.
    They have nos and used.
    good luck,
    Steve
    oh and I have a real nice complete rear bumper that will fit your car