Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blower motor

Blower motor

How do you replace the blower motor 69 w A/C.

I have an assyembly manual, but I guess I need to find a repair manual.
    Any leads?

Thanks!

Answer to Blower removal

You have to remove the Passenger Fender.
    To do this, you will need to remove the hood and fender carefully so that you do not scratch the paint.

HOWEVER!! You might have an easier problem......

On the firewall, there is a small 3 to 5 prong relay switch that MIGHT be bad. This relay controls and powers the speed of the blower fan.

I do not know how to test, but I would get a new one (should be easy to find in Resto Shops). If it is the fan, it would be worth having the new relay anyway.

Hope this helps.
    Mark

inner fender

thanks for your input.
    i did the job last week and it went real easy. i only pulled the fender well and was able to do a nice paint job while i had it out, now i'll do the other side. the housing went in with loads of room to work. on to the rest of the a/c system.

Great! That does sound like an easier method.

How did you get the inner fender out.
    I too need to replace the A/C blower motor on my 68 Skylark.
    After reading your post I thought I'd try your way.
    Just spent the last 3 hours trying to get the inner fender out with no luck.
    I got all the bolts out but couldn't get the inner fender to come out.
    How'd you do it?
    Bill

From memory and having owned many of these....

Loosen the Fender Bolts from the:
    1). Firewall
    2). Behind the door when you open the door.
    3). Two bolts underneath the fender (Below the Rocker Panel.)
    4). Two bolts that attach the Core Support to the fender.
    5). Five (?) bolts behind the Light Bell Housing.

Then you have the Fender Well..
    1). The seven (?) bolts that attach to the Fender.
    2). One or two bolts that screw into the frame. Behind the wheel,
    going toward the back of the car.
    3). Then the most important and hidden bolt.... Right above the tire (12:00 o'clock high, there is one bolt that mates the Fender Well to the Fender.)

If you need more info, let me know.

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark.
    Are you saying I need to remove the fender or just loosen it (in order to remove the inner fender)?

The manual says to remove the hood and fender.

Skyllark's post said he just removed the inner fender.

Thanks again
    Bill

If you are needing to remove the Inner Fender (aka:Wheel Well Housing), then it would be SO MUCH easier to remove the Hood and then fender.

It will minimize paint scratches. Just ask a neighbor or friend to assist you as your pull the hood and fender.

When you put the fender back on the car. I would attach/screw (losely) the inner fender (aka: Wheel Well Housing) back on the Outer Fender first. This approach has made it easier for me.

Have fun!!

Mark

I recently had to replace my heater core on my 69 GS 400 and to tell you the truth I didn’t remove the fender just loosened it but I did have the whole radiator support off the car and the extra move-ability made it possible to pull the inner fender well.
    I guess what I’m saying is, try removing it with the fender bolts loose and if no luck, it’s got to come off. Hope you put some time aside for this fun little project.
    By the way, don’t open the passenger side door wile the fender is loose, it will bind against the loosened fender and chip the paint, trust me and tie a towel on the door handle so you don’t accidentally reach for it and open it without thinking about it.

Well I got the blower motor replaced and while I was at it I replaced the heater core. Thanks to all on this site and the V8Buick site for all your help. What a job!
    I did manage to get at the blower motor without removing the fender. I simply removed the inner fender. Well not so simply, the trick here is that after you remove all the bolts, you also remove the L bracket (located behind the inner fender at the three o'clock position. Two of the inner fender mounting bolts screw into this bracket). You need to rotate the inner fender back and down while being careful not to scratch your paint.

Replacing the heater core was worse than the blower motor. That one nut on the firewall behind the right cylinder head took about 30 minutes and a lot of colourful language to remove (I did not put it back on). I also found out I'm getting to old to be lying upside down under the dash of a car. I hurt for a week after that.
    Oh well it's done and it's over.
    Bill