Thread: Boiling Over

Question Boiling Over

Hi,

I've got a 64 lesabre, and its started to boil over and get hot after a run,
    if i leave the car standing and running it will overheat after about 1 hour on tickover, when i turn off the engine the radiator boil's over out of the overfrlow pipe, i have a 15lbs rad cap on it is the the correct rating ?

Also when under load the engine pinks a lttle bit so, could the timing or fual mixture be incorrect and causing this ?

Any idears or suggestions are welcome???

thanks

del
    Restored 64 LeSabre Sedan, 355 Wildcat

If you start with the ping, usually a function of octane rating and or timing. Back off your timing a little bit and see what happens. It can contribute to to over heating just a bit, but there are usually other causes. I can't tell you if a 15 pound cap is right for your model but there are several things you can check. First you want to see if your thermostat opens. WITH THE CAR COLD!!!!!! take off the radiator cap, start the motor and look down into the radiator. When the engine heats up you should see motion in the water. If you never see motion you most likely have problems with your thermostat but not conclusively. At that point you will need to pull your thermostat and put it in a pan of water on the stove and heat it up. You should see it open when the water gets hot enough. If not then that is probably the problem. Note: spend the extra bucks on a thermostat that fails in the open position. Since you now have the cooling system open you might as well check the radiator. This is the one that got me. Take off the lower hose. If you can reach both, hold your hand over the bottom outlet and fill the radiator with water. When full pull your hand off off the outlet. If all the water doesn't drain out within just a few seconds your radiator is clogged and you will have to get it cleaned out. One of the above should take care of your problem. Just one question, if you spend a great deal of time idling an hour or more, you would be well served by putting an electric fan on your radiator so you can get more through it when sitting.
    Tonerman

1955 Special
    Two Door HT
    264 V8
    Dynaflow

Houston (Katy)
    Texas

Smile

Thaks for the advise tonerman,

I don't normally leave the engine running to long at idle, did it on this occasion to try and investigate the boiliing over isssue.

Will have a look at all the options you've mentioned, thankfully it does not sound to serious...just needs a good going over i guess

cheers Del
    Restored 64 LeSabre Sedan, 355 Wildcat