Thread: Windlace vs Wire-on

Windlace vs Wire-on

I've been searching for awhile but I have not been able to find out what the difference is between windlace and wire-on. I've seen lots of ads for both products from places like Kanters (www.kanter.com) and CARS (http://www.buick-parts.com/) but from the pictures they both look like cloth over a foam rubber round core.

Can anyone provide a definitive definition of the two?

I'm asking because I want to replace the interior finishing material on my 56 Buick Roadmaster 4-door. In my search of parts books, manuals (including everything on Budd's 56 Buick site - http://agentbudd.com/56Buick/index2.html) I keep coming up blank on the question of whether to use windlace or wire-on or both. Any suggestions on the color that would be appropriate would be welcome as well.

Thanks
    Bob

anyone ???

Hello Bob.
    Windlace is a round rubber cord upholstered with either cloth or vinyl that installs with staples around the door openings . When the door is shut, it is supposed to fill in the crack between the door and the body.
    Wire-on is a product that is designed to hide the staples or tacks in various places like the back convertible top bow on the outside of a convertible top. It is also used to hide tacks or staples on pre-50's cars just above the windlace. GM stopped using it in 1941 to hide the tacks around the windlace; using instead, a toothed metal strip that went over the tail of the windlace and the headliner tucked behind and grabbed the teeth to hold it in place. You may also see wire-on on the tops and sides of older seats (with wood frames). Again, it was used to hide the tacks.
    If you are still unclear, I can send you a sample of each so you can see the difference. Let me know.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the explaination. Samples would be great although from your explaination I believe that all I am looking for is windlace.

I've attached a picture -- I hope -- can you guess the color from what I've attached?

Please send samples to :

Bob Kowalski
    112 Bridgewater Drive
    Vadnais Heights, MN 55127-6981
    Much Appreciated...

Bob

Double-click on the thumbnail to enlarge -- in case you didn't know.

Thanks again.
    Bob