- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1656646566

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

Straight 8 pistons

Alleycat. Straight 8 piston have .005 cam grind that's it. If you use new pistons with .010 you should knurl both sides of the skirt. Preferably half point from center of skirt to the edge looking at the piston from its side. Dnt forget when replacing cast piston with aluminum pistons clearances have to be for the new pistons. I have a vintage knurler that was use on inline engines while they are in the chassis. Booklet says to do the same thing to quiet piston noise. So you can give those blanks a .005 grind or knurl the pistons where I said. I have had good success with the knurling. Keeps more oil on piston surface.

pistons

Knurling the pistons to get a nicer fit is not a bad idea, at all. I don't know who, if anybody, in my neck of the woods, who would have one of these tools... Exactly what is the pattern that the knurler puts on the piston? Since this is a "old skool" tool and we are working on engines from the same era and if a person had a nice set of pistons that are not quite as nice a fit as would be desired, this would be a really good way to have a solution. Since I am going with a unreasonable oversize and have to make my own pistons to suit and once they are done, they go to Calico for Teflon coating along with anything else that moves, knurling is kinda pointless in this case. Never the less, a good solution! Alleycat

cassi

Ol6rdr; I managed, after many starts and stops, to read all the threads about cassi. You nearly got it on the road. I recognize a lot of the parts you used to make it, I sure wish I'd had the brains and foresight to pick up the same sort of stuff that was laying all around the edges of fields, behind barns in the bushes and build my own, what a hoot! I was sorta operating in a vacume at the time and the idea NEVER even occurred to me, oh well...Cassi really needs to hit the road, under power! Very cool. Alleycat

Well, It's been a while since I've been on here. We're heading for the Salt Flats with the Buick powered Jaguar in a couple of days. The Salt is supposed to be good this year albeit not very thick. Smooth and hard. Since last year's fiasco we have added an air suspension system to the rear which should cure the traction problems. The car should be fast enough to set a couple of records in August. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Buick Guy View Post
    Well, It's been a while since I've been on here. We're heading for the Salt Flats with the Buick powered Jaguar in a couple of days. The Salt is supposed to be good this year albeit not very thick. Smooth and hard. Since last year's fiasco we have added an air suspension system to the rear which should cure the traction problems. The car should be fast enough to set a couple of records in August. Doug
    some guys from my car club in Illinois are heading out. GOOD LUCK guys. I hope this thread never dies.
    Andy.
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC