- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

As a foundry man/pattern maker ive been wanting to make a better flowing head..16 port?
    I have the ability to make the patterns and cast them. Computer software is where I stop. Im old fashion and put everything on paper. Perhaps we can collaborate on this project
    Quote Originally Posted by dlomshek View Post
    Several years ago there were posts concerning the need for a new design/better breathing head for the old straight eights. This intrigued me as I teach Computed Aided Design (CAD) in an Engineering Tech. Dept. of a state university.

I began to play around with potential designs of both push-rod and SOHC designs. Attached is an example of some experimentation I have been involved with.

New cylinder head designs are very time consuming and expensive to create and produce due to the need for coolant passages and the necessary casting cores. I have explored the possibility of designing/producing a new two component that is produced via CNC milling then furnace brazing the to head halves together. Yes, even aluminum can be furnace brazed. Can this be done? I think it can. However I have not yet explored the costs of utilizing this process.

I've 3D modeled and designed, cast 4 intake manifolds this past year for some Chevy inlines and could also pretty easily do a cylinder head. The last intake manifold went from idea to scratch pad then to 3D model, them to CAM software straight to patterns and cores and finally to raw cast intake in 6 days....! I also have a Chevy 12 Port 6 cylinder race head I manufacture and could incorporate some design elements from it into a Buick 16 port head as well. This topic comes up pretty regularly but nobody ever jumps in the water!
    There's no such thing as too much cam....only not enough engine!

I have patterns for a finned valve cover and 4x2 high rise intake for the 263. Im stoping at the head for I rather work from a blue print there. I do everything my self.
    But due to cost of things im staying old fashion for now. Id definitely be interested, tho it might not be something that will not sell alot of due to the nature of the product.

[lookingQUOTE=CNC-Dude;105875]I've 3D modeled and designed, cast 4 intake manifolds this past year for some Chevy inlines and could also pretty easily do a cylinder head. The last intake manifold went from idea to scratch pad then to 3D model, them to CAM software straight to patterns and cores and finally to raw cast intake in 6 days....! I also have a Chevy 12 Port 6 cylinder race head I manufacture and could incorporate some design elements from it into a Buick 16 port head as well. This topic comes up pretty regularly but nobody ever jumps in the water![/QUOTE]

Back

Greetings all! I have been lurking around this site off & on for a few years now, that is, since I got booted off a few years ago for what exactly, I don't know other than, I was a little too "out there" for some on this site. Well, I'm still "out there", perhaps even more so, as I haven't been sitting on my hands during the time I've been absent. I've changed my mind about several things that go into building performance engines, I've discovered a few things along the way and I've built a lot of stuff, not all related to str8 Buicks but at least tangential to building a better str8. Some of the stuff I've discovered will be, likely, controversial. It's not pie-in-sky stuff, I built it. It works. I've also noticed that the str8 hot rodding threads have almost come to a stop. Huh? There has got to be a few str8 guys out there wanting to build kick butt engines. Granted, this is now the age of 'putters and power adders and LS engines, and it's easy. But, for me at least...It's fun! building str8's! So, I'll just throw this "out there" and see what shakes out! Alleycatoo

Facebook

Are you on facebook? I'm working on some cast aluminium parts. Nice to see alleycat is back. Unfortunately not many into making their straight 8 go fast, other than my self.
    Quote Originally Posted by 39CENT View Post
    I have some ideas just gotta do somethin. my son moved his car from my drive way so maybe i can do things, now that i have a little more room. I have my 39 chevy 2dr waiting, and my 39 century needs me too. I have a milled 52 head for my "340 ci", so now i will have a test car.I did get a chevy V8 shorty exhaust header from a friend, and it looks like it will be an easy way to get some cheap headers for a straight 8, maybe i can at least do this project. take some pix of it if it comes out alright.

i dunno, mang.

i'm pretty out there on occassion and he's never even warned me. i did get booted from V8Buick, but that was mostly because i was pointing out what a hypocritical dumbshit that lawyer supermod was being.

did you get any kind of a warning?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

booted

Nope, not a hint. Just off. Funny thing is, I couldn't even get on the site as a visitor. Tried to get any of the moderators, nope. I had plenty of other stuff to use up my time, sooo, worry about this later. I would visit the site from other 'putters just to see what's up. I'm mostly a gearhead, not a computer guy, so I just didn't think to get back in from another 'puter. A while back I check back to the site on my "puter and I'm in!! Huh? So, after a while I think, reregister under a slightly different handle, Bingo! Talking to Bob, one of the moderators, kinda sounds like maybe/possibly Team buick was hacked? Amaturishly? Hackers are a odd bunch. I sure didn't have a clue. Alleycatoo

Straight 8

I would like to swap some ideas on getting more out of these engines.

Back

Alley, I always enjoyed reading you. Looking forward to it.

I have "heated up " a 263 and installed it into my '50 last year. Bored to 85mm, cam, head worked over, pistons for 9.5:1 cr. Pretty impressive.

Ben

Good to read some other rodders here.

As a relative newb to this site I'm popping an L8 into an existing old lakes style bucket I have. In no rush, I'm presently re-making the tunnel to fit the pb904 I've attached to the mill. Going with a removable section this trip, as I want it easier to diddle the linkages & plumbing than having to crawl below (been rather a bit since I was a teenager anyway).

Project thread here.