- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Untame

Quote Originally Posted by cinemarealtor View Post
    It may be easier to convert the auto crank than find a stick crank! I've been looking for one for over a year!
    If the crank is out of the block, you will get a neater looking installation by redrilling the crank. If the engine is still assembled, it will be lot less work to redrill the flywheel. I also added a couple of dowel pins to make sure the flywheel wouldn't move.

Whichever way you go, don't forget to relocate the timing mark.

Ray

Supercharged 320

I'm new to this site and the 320 Buick but in the past I've played with Lotus,Jag and other British in-lines......please don't hold that against me!!!!.
    I'm working on the purchase of a 1930 Buick Roadster that is about 30% complete and to me a good candidate for a Speedster build.
    I have a rebuilt GMC 6V71 blower that I'd like to hang out in front of the rad as the 1920's blower Bentleys did.
    The 6V71 displaces about 330CI and considering that it would be turning at crank speed to my current understandings should be a good match/fit to the Buick 320.
    I've read in this and other threads here that many 'bits' are being created which should permit the build of a good strong street motor to go into a fenderless Speedster.
    The only target that I have at this point is to reduce the all-up weight to under 2500lbs.
    The removal of the fenders,running boards,splash pans,windshield and top plus the replacement of a)the tranny with a T5,b)the front axle with a 6" drop tube,c)the rear axle with a Franklin/Halibrand/Winters late model quick change should get it there.
    I'm planning to retain the original mechanical brakes with the belief the the reduction in weight will render them effective enough to deal with the traffic levels that exist here in The Great White North.
    250 to 300HP should move something of this weight along quickly enough to give the police justification to try to take one's drivers license away.
    I hope that the knowledgeable people here will share their understandings and must thank everyone in advance.
    Ken S
    Last edited by rotus7; 02-23-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Ken

Welcome to Team Buick

Have you found a 320 engine yet?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rotus7 View Post
    I'm planning to retain the original mechanical brakes with the belief the the reduction in weight will render them effective enough to deal with the traffic levels that exist here in The Great White North.
    If you intend to drive your creation at anywhere near the speed it will be capable of, you might want to rethink the brakes.

Ray

320 & Brakes

As to the 320 I have yet to find one but by reviewing the information here I believe I should be looking for a post war Roadmaster hopefully that has been fitted to a manual tranny.
    In another thread that I have posted here a friend of mine has a Schaefer (spelling???) aluminum flywheel off of a 322 nailhead that I hope to adapt to the big inline with a 12V high speed starter.
    As for the original brakes and their ability to stop this piece if it's under 2500 lbs a understand the question.
    There was a pair of 12" finned aluminum drums on evil-bay about a month ago off I suspect an early 50's Triumph TR3 that would have been a good step in the right direction. Finding a set of 4 would prove helpful but I intend to stick with the mechanical component.
    Last edited by rotus7; 02-25-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Don't be too quick to pass up a Dynaflow 320 if you should run across one. I converted a 52 Roadmaster to manual transmission, and it wasn't really all that difficult. My parts donor car was a 47 Roadmaster.

The pilot bearing was easy. I made an insert for the crank that would accept a stock Chevy bushing (Buick and Chevy transmission pilots are the same diameter). You can also bore the insert to accept a ball bearing instead, if that is your preference. It is possible that there may be a commercial part available for this conversion now.

The flywheel was more of a challenge because the bolts had excessive clearance in the 47 flywheel holes. I was thinking about making up a set of custom shoulder bolts, but I was worried about getting the proper heat treat on them after machining. Instead, I took the easy route and put three dowel pins through the flywheel and crank. The car was still running fine like that 15 years later when I last saw it.

If you want to do an all-out deluxe job, you could remove the crank from the block and machine the flange to accept the early type thread inserts. You would probably need a scrap engine or crank to get the inserts out of unless you can find a source for new ones.

Ray

Dynaflow No

In 45 years of vehicle ownership I have Never had one with an automatic.if I am understanding your post correctly.
    Driven many but never had one of my own.
    To me it takes too much of the enjoyment out of the exercise.

As for the flywheel if I can get my hands on the aluminum flywheel that my friend is not using modifying the crank to take it will be just something that I will have to do plus install a high speed starter.
    Last edited by rotus7; 02-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Blown straight 8

Gary Hart ran the first blown straight 8 that I remember,it ran a Jimmy blower. I've got a '38 Century cpe w/a Magnuson blower on the original engine. It could be a great street engine because the torque comes on so early. You can easily make over 400 ft lbs below 3000. I've never run a blower on a blow thru rig. The draw through takes a ;lot of fab work but you're going to have to make headers and an intake system anyway. The stock brakes will stop the car fine, but only ONCE. Fitting a Tremec is not hard (use the one for GM cars) and you know it will stand the torque. I'vr broken the pinion shaft on a 9'' Ford with mine running on the rough track at ECTA/Maxton. The car ran 141+ at B'ville but not fast enough to get in the book.Hope this will help, Bobby

Dynaflow No

Quote Originally Posted by rotus7 View Post
    In 45 years of vehicle ownership I have Never had one with an automatic.if I am understanding your post correctly.
    Driven many but never had one of my own.
    To me it takes too much of the enjoyment out of the exercise.

No, that wasn't my intent at all. Like you, I do not care to have an automatic on any car or truck that I actually intend to drive. That was the reason I converted the 52 Roadmaster to a manual transmission. The improvement in performance, fuel mileage, reliability, and overall driving enjoyment was well worth the work involved.

What I meant to say was that you may be limiting yourself unnecessarily if you confine your search to 320 engines originally equipped with a manual transmission. It may be easier to find a Dynaflow engine, and if you do, it will not be terribly difficult to convert it to manual.

My apologies if I caused any confusion there.

Ray