- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

Once you've accepted the "one sided head", it may help to look at all the little British "sports car" heads. Triumph, Austin, MG... all have common (cheap) production car base. One sided head (at least in pre CNC days)=lower cost. Of course all else being equal, the cross flow head is a better starting point, but with enough time, (and enough heads) flow shouldn't be a problem. KEEPING IT DRIVEABLE will be. Once you get the hi-flow, maybe consider a "dual port" (like the old offy manifolds). Picture, 4 progressive 2-barrel carbs, on (what appear to be) 4 individual "tubes". The tubes are split to form a large and small runner to each port. Primary barrel thru small runner = low RPM/hi-velocity.Secondary opens, runner progressively "grows". Or maybe 2 Q-jets, that's about as progressive as they come. But for my application, packaging is no problem, so I think I'll supercharge.

st8's, rpm, torque and other stuff...

I've been somewhat skeptical of some of Buicks specifications for the str's for a few years now......Cooling my heels for a while now in California, I've had some time to think about things. I was looking at the given torque & hp specs for all the str'8s and the given rpm at which it occures and it struck me; this is low rpm for max torque values, WAY too low. Max torque production is a function of stroke. That is, short stroke, higher rpm, long stroke, lower rpm. It could be that 2100 rpm (or so) prehaps may be peak torque but it is not potiential torque peak. Since this is a function of stroke, it should be plotable on a graph, to give at least a basic visual idea of where peak torque should occure, rpm wise. I went over to the library and dug up as much info as I could and ploted a graph. T he 320 comes in about 4200 and the 248 & 263 about 4400, + or - a 100 or so rpm. Hmmmm, this rather changes things. How Buick actually measured their engines, I have no clue, sliderule guesstimate? Engine efficency follows the torque curve. Peak torque at about 2100 rpm probably means that the head flow is starting to choke at this point and its downhill from there. With a potiential torque max at 42-4400 rpm, potiential max hp is actually about 5500, with a average cam. The head is killing us. We are not thinking about the actual weight of the parts going 'round in there at this point. Since the 320 has bigger ports, it has the best chanch of getting in to "the 5's" I don't think there is enough meat in the ports for the small head to flow in this neighborhood. Sure would be intresting to send a head or two over to Air Flow Research and tell 'em "Take no prisoners". alleycat

Anyone see today's "My Classic Car"? I wonder how fast it's turning to make 450hp? ('51 with a twin turbo'd 320)
    chevy6694/53str8

why don't i get speed channel!

is there anyplace on the net that i can find that clip of this 51 twin turbo? i have a feeling it may be a red one?

Yeah, it was a red one. Tows it behind a red, early/mid '50s(not sure year/model)Buick wagon. Hope that doesn't mean it's not really driveable. I posted the question on the My Classic Cars forum, "does anyone know or know how to contact this man?" Maybe we'll get a hit?! The tape was from Polson, Montana and the man said he was within 400 miles.
    Last edited by chevy6694; 06-08-2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: ps
    chevy6694/53str8

Yeah!!! Finding this guy and getting some real info would be very, very, excellent!!.alleycat

Hey alleycat, what is the going rate to bench flow heads? Could some of us maybe "chip in"? I seem to remember an old Car Craft/Hot Rod article on building a flow bench(?) I mentioned the british sports cars before 'cause I have a friend(haven't seen in15 yrs) a navy trained mechanic who's into them, Volvos and SCCA racing. These (specificaly the Volvos) he built "by the book", that is, the factory rally manual. This gave stages of modification, with (as I recall) detailed porting instructions to go with cam/compression changes. This is probably what you have in mind for your guide?
    chevy6694/53str8

cool, was it this buick...? these are all the pics i got and its not enough!

That's the one! Where'd ya get the pics? Did you get my PM? Don't know if I did it right.
    Last edited by chevy6694; 06-08-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    chevy6694/53str8

Wow! 14 pounds of boost! It's got a mild cam too. I'll bet with that kind of boost, not too much head work would even have to be done...you wouldn't have to rev it very high either...what an awesome intake/exhaust setup! I don't even want to think about how special the pistons/rods have to be to handle that kind of boost--I told you it was worth it to watch that show!!!
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit