- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

straight 8 hot rodders

Duke, the Willys was yellow with a blue graphic down the side with a Clay Smith Cam sticker in the graphic. We have aluminum rods in the 1950 Buick salt flat car that Vinolia had made for us. Do you suppose they are strong enough in the pin area? We have turned the Buick to 5200 rpm.

Straight Eight Hot Rodders

I have not seen any Vinolia rods for a straight eight. My experiance with aluminum rods is that they are good for faster rpms due to lighter weight, but not durable for long periods of use/abuse. But, since you are turning 5,200 they probably will last quite a while. Are you runnig a full floating pin? I would assume the rods do not use the old bolt through the center.
    I remember seeing your gasser. It looked like a nice car, I like yellow. What kind of salt car do you have? Can I view a picture somewhere?
    Thanks
    Duke

straight 8 hot rodders

Duke, Vinolia did not make the rods, we went through Jr. Thompson in CA, he in turn got ahold of Vinolia, and they found someone to make the rods. Yes they have full floating wrist pins. You can see the Willys and my currect salt flat car on my web site....geocities.com/garyhartracing

straight 8 hot rodders

gnoub, yes the GMC will be speed density using Megasquirt as the controller. Will be turbo charged using a Holset HSSuper 40.

straight 8 hot rodders

Duke, I just saw you are in Loveland CO. Don Wheeler lives in that area somewhere, he races a lakester on the salt with a straight 8 Buick. Have you ever heard of him??

Yes, I know Don Wheeler and his car. The HEI distributor, cylinder head, fuel injection, intake and exhaust system came off one of our engines. My brother and I built it all. He bought it from us for his car. Plus he runs one of our camshafts. I used to live in Denver before moving to Loveland. Don lives Southeast of Denver. We both used to belong to the Flatheaders/Inliners of Denver.

Does anyone know where I could get a good 49-50 or 51 Roadmaster engine. I have a front engine dragster that I would like to put one end.
    Thanks
    Duke

Hey Alleycat, Can you please give me a contact name over at Egge pistons. I couldn't get past the front counter guy when I enquired about machining up blank 248 pistons to fit japanese ring sets.

GH:

A diesel turbo. Cool. Hope you can provide more pictures.

Thanks!

Gary
    ------
    1950 Special Model 43 - "Yoda"
    1948 De Soto S11 - "Bobo"

straight 8 hot rodders

gnoub, I tryed to post some more photos yesterday but was rejected. Too many photos posted?? I run 2 Ford Power Stroke diesel turbos (Garrett GTP-38) on a 515 ci big block chevy in my Studebaker salt flat car, see photos on my web site at geocities.com/garyhartracing...