- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

Thumbs up 40 straight 8

I have a 1940 Special 4 dr sedan w/ straight 8 that was running 5 yrs ago, for sale if anyone is interested...I need to pay my income tax , so will go cheap..
    see at www.rodsncustoms.com
    contact me at carey@rodsncustoms.com
    or racenova70 yahoo dot com

Efi????

Anyway....around and around I go with my '50 248 and an idiot when it comes to EFI. I was wondering if it would be possible (well OK, anything is possible) to somehow use the stock manifold with some sort of EFI setup. My plan is to keep the '248 basically stock, but very street reliable in a modern way. Any ideas?

Gary
    ------
    1950 Special Model 43 - "Yoda"
    1948 De Soto S11 - "Bobo"

eight in a row makes 'em go

I have never done efi when using throttle body injecters, but it has been done. Could you drill and weld bungs in the intake runners (4 ea) to accept electronic injecters, and buy a universal fuel rail? Just my 2 cents.

eight in a row makes 'em go

I know this is not a Buick engine, but it is and inline engine (GMC 311ci). Here is the intake I fabricated from stainless steel ( It's not stock looking).
    Last edited by GH; 02-05-2009 at 07:56 AM.

GH:

So, looks like you have a long intake to the injectors with the fuel rail on top? How will you control the system? I know very little ...... a Speed Density setup? Looks interesting. Send more pics as you get them.

Thanks!

Gary
    ------

Smile Buick straight eight performance

Hi Guys,
    My brother and I have raced buick straight eights for more than 45 years. So I do know a little bit about the straight eight engine. The best one is the Roadmaster 320 c. i. It is the one that will perform for you. Our roadster ran a best of 9.40 sec. @ 148 mph in the 1/4 mile. Yes, you can bore them out .125 with no problem. We have run our engine at 6,500 rpms through the traps while drag racing. Never did blow up an engine. In fact, ran the same engine for 30 years. Only bent a rod once. This was due to a hydralic lock with raw gas, doing jet changes between rounds of drag racing. Did not have time to turn the engine backwards to clean it out and bent the rod doing the push start. Still ran the elimination round and won our class. Found the bent rod after tear down next day.
    Would be happy to help out fellow straight eight guys.
    Glad to find a site for straight eight buicks.
    The Duke

Duke:

Any details on your engine setup would be very nice. Pictures?

Thanks!

Gary
    ------

Pictures???

Gary... I am trying to attach or add a picture of my car or engine. I am having problems doing it. Do you know how to attach photos to the messages?
    Our engine is bored out to 355 c.i. with custom made Arias 13.5 to 1 compression ratio. A specially ground cam by Iskerderian, our own homemade fuel injection system, intake manifold, exhaust headers, and blueprinted/balanced by us. The head has been modified to flow a lot more air into the cylinders. Tell me how to add pictures and I will. If you want more info...ask and I will try to anxwer. You can send me your e-mail address and I can send you pictures that way if you want.
    Just let me know. I am more than happy to share information for making a straight eight go fast to anyone asking. This is the first time I have found a place with guys hopping up straight eights. We have been the only ones for a long time.
    Duke
    Attached Images Attached Images

Picture

Looks like it took my one picture....I had to keep on cropping it down in order to get below the KB allowance. You can see the engine now.
    Duke

my e-mail

you can e-mail me at grhamann@yahoo.com