- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

worlds largest engine

Alleycat i think its more efficient than regular spark ignition engines. but who,s to say? its over 100,000 hp!

the Wartsila NSD (Sulzer) RTA96-C two-stroke diesel engine
    is the most powerful and most efficient piston prime-mover in the world today.
    Bore - just under 3'2" (965mm). Stroke - just over 8'2" (2489mm). Available in 6 through 12 cylinder versions (all inline). Engine weight exceeds 2000 tons in the 12 cylinder version (the crankshaft alone exceeds 300 tons). Point of maximum continuous power is 89,640 HP (66,844kW) at 100RPM with the 12 cylinder version. Point of maximum fuel economy is 53,244 HP(37,704kW)at 90 RPM.
    The 12-cylinder engine exceeded 100,000 horsepower during overspeed testing (all of 101.5 RPM!) while under test at Japan's Diesel Union works (who built the first engines and from whmo these pictures are taken). Fuel consumption at maximum power is 0.278 lbs/HP/hour (BSFC). Fuel consumption at maximum economy is 0.260 lbs/HP/hour. At maximum economy the Sulzer engine exceeds 50% thermal efficiency: i.e. more than 50% of the fuel going into the engine is converted to power. For comparison, consider that automotive and small aircraft spark-ignition engines have British Standard Fuel Consumption figures in the 0.40-0.60 lbs/HP/hour range and 25-30% thermal efficiency. Even at its most efficient power setting, the Sulzer 12 cylinder consumes nearly 1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil an hour.

First post on this site, lots of cool stuff to read.

Have a '41 2 door sedanette, dual carbed and 100% stock. First old Buick I had was a '39 opera coupe back in the mid 70's, also stock except for a little lowering and some wheels and tires.
    Anyway, I thought some of you might get a kick out of this article from an old issue of the inliners newsletter. I was a member back in the 80's for a few years with a '54 Chevy hardtop, but really wanted, someday, another Buick. Have a few more interesting articles with S-8 stuff. One with Mel Tull who still, since '91, owns the record at B-ville in the unblown street roadster XXO class with a 169.940. They ran a 178 and change they day they got the record! He's a Straight eight guru from way back and I've talked to him a few times, great guy.

This little article on Pete Shadinger is a good read too...best run was a 148 in '65.

Sorry if this a repeat of info, being a rookie here I don't know what's been posted before.

pete shadinger dragster

welcome aboard, No this article hasnt been shown here on this site. due to the fact that i havnt been able to dig up my copies of old inliners articles. Send in your articles, we really like that straight 8 stuff. Also havnt found my article on Mel Tull,s Bonneville roadster, I have also talked to Mel, he,s got a lotta info on the str 8,s. Also Dutweiler, the Earle,s, and some other old timers from the strt 8 scene.

My first post here. I was just followed home by a '48 320 and started nosing around.

Well, a note form my experience with turbo chargers and "flow". A few years back I had an '89 Plymouth minivan with the turbo. I copied the factory 300hp kit, with more modern equipment and a larger intercooler. I finally got it into the high 13's. Well, my point, much has been said here about forced induction taking care of the flow problem. Well, not really. Myself, and most of my friends, were in the 25 psi range to get the power. That was necessitated by the small valves and poor flow. I am away form it now, but I notice that most of the "go fast" boys with an early Mopar 4 are converting them to 4 valve heads from a later Mopar 4. I think there is a lesson there. I am not the machinist to handle it, but I do wonder about two 4 cylinder heads of modern design with "cross flow". Finding such heads that still use pushrods might be tough. Converting to OHC might be tougher.

I am also wondering about how much "flow" is needed at the rpm's anticipated.

straight 8 hot rodders

Here is some photos of the 1950 Buick salt flat car that Mike Collison has. I hope I can figure this out, sending photos, I mean.
    Last edited by GH; 07-11-2009 at 03:01 PM.

straight 8 hot rodders

Here's some more photos..
    Last edited by GH; 04-09-2008 at 07:06 AM.

I don't do the computer very well so bear with me. I've got a '41 Roadmaster W/some fairly easy mods that runs really good. It wil turn 4800 easily and it will still pull from 3 or 400 in high gear.Head has been cut1/8".cam with stock duration but almost 1/2" lift,MSD distributor(8 degrees advance@idle,28 degrees total w/full advance by 2400), carbs off a 56 or 57(these are 4 bolt but you can make them fit the dual carb Buick manifold easily)No progressive linkage. A set of headers helps but cleaning uo the split manifold system probably works 80% as well. Run both pipes down the drivers side so you don't have to cut the frame. Any port work you do will pay you back if you want to rev the engine over 3200 or so. If you do the work for a driver don't hesitate to make it pull a tall gear, I'm running a 3.6w/tall tires and am going to go to a 3.4. If you have to build the engine bore it 3/16" (yep .01875),big block Chevy or 501 Cadillac valves are agood fit. The bonneville straight 8 runs 4-71 blower w/about 8 lbs. of boost, my next mod is going to a centrifugal blower w/5 or 6 lbs. for the street.
    Good luck on all the straight 8 projects.

Straight8:

Great information. I have some questions.

- Which Carbs? How did you modify them?
    - Stock transmission?
    - What did you do about the rear end?
    - Who did your cam regrind?
    - MSD distributor details

Thanks!

Gary
    ------
    1950 Special Model 43 - "Yoda"
    1948 De Soto S11 - "Bobo"

Hi Straight 8
    Sounds like your 41 is set up a lot like our 50 -- just no blower.
    At Bonneville this year we had trouble keeping the blower belt intact. No trouble on the street but those flat out, 3 mile runs will sniff out any flaw.
    The winter project is a Gilmore drive and some header work-- then back after that 150mph goal. We are runnning a 3.75 rear end and went to 28" tall tires last August ( equiv to a 2.50/26") and couldn't quite pull em -- at least with a slipping blower belt. So we'll see if she's got a little more rpm in her. If that doesn't do it we're probably into some major changes next year.
    Mike

eight in a row makes 'em go

Mike and myself is getting ready to do some work on the 50 Buick salt flat car. Changing the header exits so we can lower the car and decrease the frontal area of this tank. Going to add electric cut outs, just for fun. Change the 4-71 blower drive from polyrib to gilmer belt, either 2" or 3" wide depending on clearance at the radiator. I will take some photos when we get started.