- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

320 power

320 strt 8 mods. What i think hamann did was to 'fill' the little area from the intake port flange' [each port has a hollow there.]. then he milled out a whole new 'port' at an angle. then weld/braze/epoxy a tube into each port making it a completely new angle, that would make the incoming charge a much better angle into the ports. kinda like this [ / / ].I think its a complete new port] That would improve the flow. Port entrance is very important and is used on many inlines for better breathing. [ jeep strt 6.s raised the ports for more power. on chevy 6.s they welded in a 'lump', to give the charge better transition to the valve. Yeah i was reading the article about the 300 mph bonnevill, flathead ford that ron main had built by **** Landy. They reversed the intake/exhaust ports and all i think they did was grind the cam with the lobes in different positions.Crower is the guy to talk to about that, he,s into old engine mods and makes all kinds of cam grinds, he would know if it could be done.The buick exhaust ports look like they would flow better than the intakes. ' bigger ports are good, but flow is better' .And also think that somebody should really look at 'cam lobe angles' for the strt 8 with its long rods, and rod ratio.

320 mods

ohh hey! might as well just fill up the whole dam port,use epoxy, and hog out a new port, with a hole saw, stick in a tube! smooth it all out, see how it works! epoxy is used on intakes, they dont get that hot. at least you could see how it matches up, use an old head to experiment on. I would try it but it would never get done!
    39c

Is there a way of cross bolting the mains. I have been taking to a person Steve at uncommon Engineering and he feels that if he decides to develop a straight eight in the way that he has the Hudson 6 or the flat head Ford than crossbolting would be one of the things he would probably do. He has told me that he may pick up a straight eight engine at Hersey this year to tinker with. I sure hope so, his engines are real pieces of art
    Maddog

320 mods

cross bolting mains. well the guy that i talked to spun his 320 up to 6200 rpm,s. and pulled the center main caps 'OUT'. and they they had straps on them! I think the mains could be crossbolted, but they are very strong as they are. Its the crankwhip that is the big problem, the crank has a lot of twist from the flywheel to the snout, Ive heard it can be up to a 1/2 inch, and at hi rpms it writhes like a snake, its almost uncontrollable in such a large crank. Also if it doesnt pull the mains, it destroys the bearings, one thing or the other.Packards 'super 8' has 9 mains [Buicks have 7] and they still have whip.The best thing is to get a good crank dampner, that may give some more rpms, some guys have used diesel dampners, but thats outta my knowledge. So thats where the ol' buick straight 8 reaches its limit, RPM,s! They twisted them old chrysler hemi,s over 8000 r,s, but ran into crank and bearing problems. so you will havto keep the bu,s limits in mind.

straight 8,s

Hmmmm? Packard! 9 Mains Gggg Lets Put A Blower On One!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those long cranks only have 5 main bearings on the buick.

If I remember right the 1926 Dusenburg had a chamber between numbers 2 and 3 cylinders with several pounds of liquid Mercury in it. It was supposed to help with the dampening. Might be a bit hard to duplicate today

Sorry for the delay again
    busy getting ready to go back to the Salt Flats with the "Fast car" Gary left Saturday with the car ( 53 Studebaker with 515 twin turbo'd merlin BB) and I fly out tomorrow. Goal 250+
    Lots of out of the box ideas for the straight 8 winter project. Anyone ever changed the firing order on a straight 8?? Just thinking about what 39cent said about have 2-4cylinder cranks. Ours is balanced and we have a good fluid damper hung on it so maybe why 5300 in the lower gears feels pretty good so far.I'm sure we could improve things with Alleycats suggestions tho.
    We've had lots of talks about the miserable intake ports. we have some class limitations in this area tho. That drag car engine of Chuck Hammann's is really a beaut-- nice work and good thinking.

We'll be talking to the cam grinders about a roller cam and what options we might have.
    Talk to you after back from Bonneville.
    Mike

worlds largest engine

happens to be an inline!

I think I saw photos of this engine a few years ago while under construction, amazing! Whats really amazing is that this engine is about 50% efficient!! With size efficency goes out the window, don't know how they dodged the bullit. Alleycat