- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 61 of 66 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

Speedster

Quote Originally Posted by scud55 View Post
    Did you ever build the front mounted blower ? If so got any pics of the brackets etc....? Thanks , Scud55
    Scud 55 be advised displacement of 6-71 Detroit engine is 426 cubes, 6x71= 426, also the blower is driven by a gear train, not necessarily at crank speed, I've been led to believe. I have overhauled these, but never had occasion to count the teeth. Overall, I like the sound of your project, and the look of the front mounted blower would be great. keep me posted, Best of luck, Dave

Back to the Salt

Well, it's time to return to the Salt. The Salt Cat Team is headed back to Bonneville to attempt another record. The Salt looks good for the first time in three years. Our first order of business is to get a Red Hat for our crew member Gayle Tesinsky. This has been a three year effort. Nature has given us fits getting this done. The record that we have to reset is 218 mph. If we get that done, then we'll turn up the boost and see if we can run a 260+ pass. Our plan is to run all three events this year and then bring back the Salt Cat 1 Jaguar next year. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by buick guy View Post
    well, it's time to return to the salt. The salt cat team is headed back to bonneville to attempt another record. The salt looks good for the first time in three years. Our first order of business is to get a red hat for our crew member gayle tesinsky. This has been a three year effort. Nature has given us fits getting this done. The record that we have to reset is 218 mph. If we get that done, then we'll turn up the boost and see if we can run a 260+ pass. Our plan is to run all three events this year and then bring back the salt cat 1 jaguar next year. Doug
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    52 Special.
    Tin Militia CC

Salt cat

ENVIOUS!!!

Lots of luck, guys.

Ben

.....'wish you there good luck ...💪👍

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

New cylinder head designs for Straight 8

Several years ago there were posts concerning the need for a new design/better breathing head for the old straight eights. This intrigued me as I teach Computed Aided Design (CAD) in an Engineering Tech. Dept. of a state university.

I began to play around with potential designs of both push-rod and SOHC designs. Attached is an example of some experimentation I have been involved with.

New cylinder head designs are very time consuming and expensive to create and produce due to the need for coolant passages and the necessary casting cores. I have explored the possibility of designing/producing a new two component that is produced via CNC milling then furnace brazing the to head halves together. Yes, even aluminum can be furnace brazed. Can this be done? I think it can. However I have not yet explored the costs of utilizing this process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cylinder head

Quote Originally Posted by dlomshek View Post
    Several years ago there were posts concerning the need for a new design/better breathing head for the old straight eights. This intrigued me as I teach Computed Aided Design (CAD) in an Engineering Tech. Dept. of a state university.

I began to play around with potential designs of both push-rod and SOHC designs. Attached is an example of some experimentation I have been involved with.

New cylinder head designs are very time consuming and expensive to create and produce due to the need for coolant passages and the necessary casting cores. I have explored the possibility of designing/producing a new two component that is produced via CNC milling then furnace brazing the to head halves together. Yes, even aluminum can be furnace brazed. Can this be done? I think it can. However I have not yet explored the costs of utilizing this process.
    You can count me as interested, I've been considering fabricating a steel head, wondering how the Montana guys did. Can't seem to find any info. Dave

More on Straight head Design

Attached find another 320 CI inch straight 8 head I have been working on. This is a new push rod head with parallel valves similar to the original design except that there are 8 individual intake ports.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dlomshek; 07-15-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: new attachment

any particular reason why the OHC design is single cam rather than double?

i should think the DOHC would actually be more straight forward, if you got rid of the rockers and just used cam followers.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

There are 13 head bolts on the port side of the head.
    When there are 16 ports on one side, 8 of the head bolts are in a port.

Similar problem with the cross-flow head with 8 symmetrical ports on each side.
    The side with the 13 head bolts have 4 ports with head bolt locations in the ports.

How does either of the head designs deal with head bolt locations versus the port locations?
    Last edited by pmuller9; 07-15-2017 at 08:15 PM.