- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

I know it's a flattie, but the concept's similar to what I'm tossing around for Cassi.

Mopar flat 6 cooling 001-c.jpg Mopar flat6 cooling 002-c.jpg

Cassi

Ol6rdr; I have found 'n lost your thread on Cassi 2 or 3 times, very interesting! A slant str8! The intake will be, along with a few other things, most interesting... What engines do you have for this rig? Do you know what the past history is? Old race cars have gotten very big in the last 15-20 years and you actually fell into one! Cool! Alleycat

Hey Ben; Good idea getting Demo Elgin to grind up your cam. I've tried several cam grinds over the years and what worked fine in V8's did not seem to work so well in the str8. I also was getting more and more of the notion that there was something "wrong" with cam grinds in general. About 10 years ago I called Demo and talked with him for a while, that guy knows his stuff and I got the hunch that he dose not think much of off the shelf cams either, anybody's ! I also called and talked with Ultradyne Harold, another REALLY interesting guy! Well, I finally figured it out. Somewhere here, possiably on this thread, someone mentioned the rear cylinder on any of the siamesed ports, "steals" air/fuel from the front cylinder. Well, kinda. What's actually going on is a shift over from the front to the rear. The front fills 'n fires then the rear. The siamesed ports turn the str8 into a really long stroke 4 cylinder engine! And during the process there is a place where 3 valves are all open, not good, reversion is almost a sure bet with a longer v8 type grind. I never could make 'em work. I'll just bet Demo know this. With only 26* overlap, he kept it down to almost nothing. I've been somewhat slow on the draw. I got Scott at Delta Cams in Tacoma to grind me up a cam almost the same, if it worked for you it'll likely work for me! Did you get your engine apart? Alleycat

Engine

Yep. The sonic test on the cracked wall indicates only .147 in.. Al the rest were .160 or more. Block is at the machine shop. He is backed up, will likely be couple weeks. Have not found a sleeve. All in stock are too short. They were available in 2008 as one was installed in the 248.

Ben

Well now, that's interesting. Hurting a engine is generaly disturbing, but something is almost always learned from the event. It's called "destructive testing" in engineering terms, I always tried to avoid it... Your pistons are probably forged, I think Arias almost always are, what's the wear pattern on the thrust face look like? A lot? Not much? I'm curious about the piston/wall clearance. I've found the str8 doesn't like a loose piston and forgings take more clearance and every piston I've got my hands on for the str8 also has way too much "cam" in it which concentrates all the load in a area about 1/2" wide. With the piston "rattlin" around, it's just possiable it didn't help. A few years ago, I got a bunch of piston blanks for my 248 from Egge, I'm making my own pistons and I'm thinking a close fit and no "cam" may be the combination. I would love to see your engine. What kind of carburation are you running? Alleycat

Quote Originally Posted by alleycatoo View Post
    Ol6rdr; I have found 'n lost your thread on Cassi 2 or 3 times, very interesting! A slant str8! The intake will be, along with a few other things, most interesting... What engines do you have for this rig? Do you know what the past history is? Old race cars have gotten very big in the last 15-20 years and you actually fell into one! Cool! Alleycat
    I have a '40 248 that I'm using for fitting in, and hope to run initially. Also have a '50 263 that I'll to do a decent street build on, and swap in at some point. Yeah, the intake'll be a fun cobble.

I scratch build cars in the styles and techniques of the periods I like. I guess I'm a bit of a nut on re-living the whole process. Hell, perhaps simply a bit of a nut in general.

History's thus;
    A bit of back story on this car. She started as a parts pile my buddy gathered back in '71, did some assembly on, but sold to me some years later when a move made it necessary. After re-engineering'er considerably I took'er nearly to the street around 2005 , but swapped'er in 2006 for the parts pile for my HAMBster just before she would've hit the bricks. The friend I swapped'er to took'er all apart for cleaning & paint, but died before he could get'er back together. His son eventually brought'er back to me to finish whenever I could get back on it. So she's been over 45 years in the build so far.
    Who says "I'll get to it some day." doesn't actually happen? Especially when the thing keeps showing up on my doorstep repeatedly?

For anyone interested, here're some links to other Cassi stuff ........
    Cassi's original build pictures.
    Team Buick (re)build thread.
    H.A.M.B. (re)build thread.

As to "old race cars", what I have currently is "Barn Job 18> Flyin' Brick> Flyin' Brick II", an early '50s type HA(mb)/G(as)R(ail) I built with that 2007 parts pile, that has gone through three iterations in ten years. A mid engine open "rail job", a mid engine "comp roadster", and now a "side" engine "comp roadster" a la the Midnite Oil Special.

If interested, here're some links ........
    Pictures here (Barn Job 18), here (Flyin' Brick), and here (Flyin' Brick II).
    Build threads here (all 5 Barn Job 18), here (Flyin' Brick), and here (Flyin' Brick II).

oldsix

Just scrolled through all [ I think! ] those threads, etc. Some serious stuff to catch up on. Thanks. What a Ride. And the Rose Bowl , Too? When do you eat and sleep.?

Ben

Smile Straight 8

Allyocat, when I bought my machine shop over thirty years ago. It came with an old piston grinder. You are correct when you say that most pistons now have too much cam grind. They original specs actually gave them just a slight cam grind. Every important as pistons warm up. When looking for correct pistons always ask how much cam grind the skirts have. Any reputable company will share that info. Good luck.

Yes Guys...
    very nice to see that something goin' on in this thread..

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

pistons

A piston grinder... That would be a cool hunk of equipment to have. Hardly anybody makes their own pistons anymore and for good reason; you can get just about any piston for just about anything for anything, sorta...Except the str8 Buick. It's either bone stock or forged, neither of which I particulary like. Finding the original spec's for the str8 piston is mostly impossible and even the original pistons seem to have way too much cam in them, like .010. Perhaps Buick in switching to the aluminum piston from iron was being very conservative and did not understand what the alloy would do over the long haul. I do know the alloy has a t3 heat treat and is age hardening, possably they thought it average out and take a set, it did, too much. And, every piston manufacturer just copied Buick thereafter. The str8, any of 'em, actually has a small piston, they are actually in motorcycle piston territory now, which opens up a whole new world of possibility now, and motorcycle pistons don't have that much cam in them. So, the majority of pistons that everybody makes for v8's, (forget jap or euro stuff for now) is 4" or bigger. Can a 4-5" piston take .010 cam? Sure. There is only 1 str8 piston maker that I know of: EGGE. Really nice piston, 15-16% silica alloy, otherwise, bone stock and too much cam. And a hypereutect piston expands like a iron piston. So, whats the right fit for a forged unit, don't know. Several different pistons with different cam, run 'em test for fit. Only way I can think of. I got EGGE to make me a bunch of blanks, making my own for just this reason. Alleycat