- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything new from the straight 8 hot rodders?

New head

Well, It's been a long Winter here in Montana, So the Salt Cat team has been getting ready for the 2013 season on the Salt. One of the projects in Crew Chief Frank Morris' mind for a long time has been a dedicated head for racing on the old 320 inch straight 8. Since nothing seems to match up and nobody is jumping at producing a head for a 70 year old engine [imagine that]. He decided to do it himself with the tools at hand in the shop. Drill press, welder, chop saw, and grinder. Here is a video of the progress he has accomplished so far. Enjoy. If you like it, there are other videos and an album of photos on Facebook at Salt Cat Racing. He has been posting daily updates on his progress. There's no hurry as it will not be used until the 2014 season in the Salt Cat 1 car, the Jaguar. Doug

http://youtu.be/X72DKDIYknc

That s crazy
    Anyone should also have a look on the other videos.
    It look so simple, why didn t anyone do this before ? ...

Let s check ... I have a press drill, magnet letters for the kids, just have to get some steel to build my own head :P

Keep following along, it just gets better. I'm on the other side of the shop putting Lexan in the Jag to make a home for the new head for 2014.
    Doug

hey Doug, i put up a news post about you guys fabricating your own heads from sheet steel. too trick.

keep up the good work.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?22739-Why-wait-for-casting-Fab-your-own-new-head-from-scratch!&p=89891#post89891

question: what's the reason henry isn't putting the intake and exh on opposite sides of the head? pushrod interference?
    Last edited by bob k. mando; 03-01-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

New head

Thanks, Bob. Yes you hit it. Pushrod interference was an issue. He also has to be able to get the head of the welder in between the tubes to seal things up. The area behind the tubes is a water jacket and will have to be pressure tested for coolant leaks. If people watch the progress they will see it is a puzzle and the pieces have a specific order of assembly. His statement to me yesterday was a classic. "If Burt Monro [World's Fastest Indian] can build connecting rods from a Caterpillar axle with a hacksaw and a file, I can build a head". Have fun watching the progress.
    Doug

I really wonder how the combustion chambers will be made ..
    CNC ? Or still using basic tools ?

Wouldn't it just be a lot easier to use a head like this, except with 2 more cylinders. Much less work, and you'd have a better head.
    12porthead1.jpg
    There's no such thing as too much cam....only not enough engine!

Frank is using the tools available and I don't see a Buick 320 head there in the picture. Love to see one when it's available. Until then we have to use what's available as we aren't getting any younger. As for a better head, that too remains to be seen. Keep the progress coming. Keep checking the Salt Cat Racing site on Facebook for the Gen 3 progress. It would be nice to have all of the tools to do a modern head, but like Frank said the other day, "If Burt Monro could buils connecting rods from a Caterpillar axle with a file and a hacksaw I can build a head with a drill press and a chopsaw".
    Doug

Just saying that the head shown, with 2 more cylinders added to it(or any head for that matter) would be a lot easier to make work than what he is doing. The patterns for my head shown can only need a few elements modified to create a Ford 240/300, Slant 6 Chrysler or even a Buick 8 specific head. The intake and exhaust cores can even be moved around to make them match the OEM layout for any engine as well. Never thought of making a Straight 8 head before, but it wouldn't be that hard with the patterns I have now.
    There's no such thing as too much cam....only not enough engine!

We're getting too old to wait until somebody else decides to build a head for a 70 year old engine. If this was going to be easy somebody would have done it already. We're just having fun. That's what Salt racing is all about. Be safe, have fun, and go fast.
    Doug