- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Dynaflow

Dynaflow

I have a 1953 322 with the dynaflow tranny, I need to rebuild the transmission, but before I do this is there another tranny I could use instead of the dynaflow. Ive never rebuilt a tranny and have no idea how difficult that is, I do have a link to a rebuild kit http://www.autotran.us/dfkits1.html they are asking $172 for the kit minus the bands. From what I have read the dynaflow has performance issues, so I am open to buying a new tranny if there is one out there I can use. Any suggestions are welcome. and any links to the new tranny are also welcome. While we are at it I am not familar with the nailhead either, so any reading suggestions are appreciated.

Go to the seach site and start typing. There is so much info on this site it's incredible The dynaflow is a good trany, you just can't feel it shift. I'm resealing mine right now in my 56 century. I'm not sure if anything will bolt in its place Good luck with the project, Bill

Smile Re: Dynaflow

There is absolutely wrong with a Dynaflow Transmission. In fact a '56 is one of the best years made. In the search section type in Dynaflow and see what result you come up with.

Changing over to another with a enclosed driveshapt system is really cost prohibitive, singe the tourque tube supports the rear suspension.

Switch to something else really get complicated and very expensive. A lot of engineering and fabrication envolved. I don't know what your looking to do and what enhancement you would like to achieve, but dollor for dollor I would stick with what you have and rebuild your current dynaflow.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Quote Originally Posted by jstnspc View Post
    I have a 1953 322 with the dynaflow tranny, I need to rebuild the transmission, but before I do this is there another tranny I could use instead of the dynaflow. Ive never rebuilt a tranny and have no idea how difficult that is, I do have a link to a rebuild kit http://www.autotran.us/dfkits1.html they are asking $172 for the kit minus the bands. From what I have read the dynaflow has performance issues, so I am open to buying a new tranny if there is one out there I can use. Any suggestions are welcome. and any links to the new tranny are also welcome. While we are at it I am not familar with the nailhead either, so any reading suggestions are appreciated.

If you want to drag race you might think about changing trannies. The Dynaflow has a turbine pump instead of a torque converter and is a little slow on the take off. For regular street driving its fine and I love the fact that it never shifts!!

If you're going to rebuild this yourself:
    1. Get the shop manual (manuals4cars.com)
    2. DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE TORQUE CONVERTER (pump)!! Unless you have the shop manual and are REALLY masochistic!! just remove the drain plugs and drain out the old oil. If the converter cover is leaking then you'll have to open it to replace the seal, but be VERY careful, theres a bunch of small parts inside including needle bearings...

The rest is pretty straight forward and easier than most other automatics...

Good luck!!
    Mark
    Last edited by Great Balls of Fire; 05-02-2007 at 06:07 PM.

It might not be the best fix but another option is to find another dynaflow. There is a running 264 with dynaflow on ebay right now for $250, Item number: 260114240080. Says the trans works good.

Rod and Custom did an article a few months ago about mating newer trannis to vintage engines, but I don't think there was any good trannis mentioned for the nailheads, sadly.

Dan