Thread: 1956 Buick Special

1956 Buick Special

I am overhauling my 322 engine does any one know if you can buy the small plate on the bottom side of the intake manifold? mine is rotted out. what is the fuction of this plate?

sledhead,
    That would be the valley pan and you can buy them from quite a few aftermarket sources. I do not know about a steel one but, Eelco has aluminum ones as does Vintage Speed. Two right off the top of my head.
    Fitysix
    The difficulty is not solving the problem. The difficulty is determining the correct problem to solve!

That plug is like a freeze-out plug, only thicker because it covers a hole that has exhaust going through it. The hole was needed to empty the core sand out when the manifold was cast. I used to have some of them as they did "Rot" out occasoinally, but I've been out of them for years. You could try Cars, Year One, The Buick Farm, Bob's Automobilia & others. It's not a common size & were very seldom needed so that will make it a hard piece to come by. If you have no luck I might be able to come across something.

Tom T.

I was looking at mine when I was cleaning the intake the other day and mine is marginal, but not coroded through. I think you could make one out of plate steal pretty easily or find one off of another manifold. Are they the same on the two barrel manifold? Good luck, Bill

thanks guys this ia a bolt on piece of tin with weep holes for exhaust to escape. I will be welding piece of 18 gauge over the rusted holes.