- 400/430/455 Poston Cams Grinds and Numbers
- 400/430/455 Kenne-Bell Cams Grinds and Numbers
- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 400 water pump replacement gone bad, way bad!

400 water pump replacement gone bad, way bad!

Had to remove the timing cover due to breaking off the head of one the bolts. Thinking that I would be in for a 12 round bout with the harmonic balancer I prepared myself with two different pullers and cleared the weekend. Wouldn’t you know it, the darn thing just slipped right off! Problem is that broken bolt, that holds on the water pump & timing cover into the block. I thought the timing cover would just pull right off after removing all of the bolts and balancer. Unfortunately no such luck, I had to cut the bolt off at the block. Now the shaft of the bolt is stuck inside the timing cover!? I have beaten it with a hammer, and she just wont budge!? Has anyone else ever experienced this before, I think my last resort is to drill out the rest of the bolt. Just cant believe its in there that good.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by printor View Post
    Had to remove the timing cover due to breaking off the head of one the bolts. Thinking that I would be in for a 12 round bout with the harmonic balancer I prepared myself with two different pullers and cleared the weekend. Wouldn’t you know it, the darn thing just slipped right off! Problem is that broken bolt, that holds on the water pump & timing cover into the block. I thought the timing cover would just pull right off after removing all of the bolts and balancer. Unfortunately no such luck, I had to cut the bolt off at the block. Now the shaft of the bolt is stuck inside the timing cover!? I have beaten it with a hammer, and she just wont budge!? Has anyone else ever experienced this before, I think my last resort is to drill out the rest of the bolt. Just cant believe its in there that good.

Be VERY careful drilling it out as the cover is just alluminum and the drill bit loves to eat that up first. Spray it with a good penetrating oil then take a little propane torch and heat it up (without melting it) and then try pounding it out---one way then the other. You may have to do this a few times but it is better than drilling it out.
    hope it works for you good luck
    Rob
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1968 Riviera GS (in family 33 yrs)
    1967 Riviera GS

As in the previous post heating is probably your best option . When you heat have a candle ready and after you get the housing hot melt some of the candle wax into the bolt hole . Also be very careful heating and hammering on the housing as it will crack easily . I have one on a 400 that I had to cut one of the main bolts off but have yet to tackle getting the bolt out of the housing . Good Luck !

400 water pump replacement gone bad, way bad

one product to give a good soaking and lettign it sit for awhile

PB BLASTER!!!!!

I have to dissassemble and reassemble aluminum gamewell flire alarm boxes and this stuff is a miracle worker......spray it and let it sit