- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edelbrock V.S. HOLLEY

Edelbrock V.S. HOLLEY

I was wondering which is the best choice for my 1968 Buick Riviera with a 455?

I was told that Edelbrock was more better and reliable.

Well tell me what you guys think before I dish out $300 on a new carb.

My old carb was flooding on one side while the other was almost dry, My car kept on shutting down at stop lights while idling, so I had to always have it in neutral. It also didn't help the gas milage, after I turn of my car in the garage, the whole place smelled like gas and exhaust!

If you are going to drive it on the street, get the Q-Jet rebuilt! They are the best all around carb out there.

So just keep the one I have but rebuild it? I found the rebuild kit but my fathers says he'd rather buy a new one! What are the good things about the q-jet?
    Is new better?

I found a Rochester Quadrejet for $229
    Is it the same one as the stock Q-jet?

Last edited by Ihavea69RIV; 05-22-2007 at 07:10 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavea69RIV View Post
    So just keep the one I have but rebuild it? I found the rebuild kit but my fathers says he'd rather buy a new one! What are the good things about the q-jet?
    Is new better?

I found a Rochester Quadrejet for $229
    Is it the same one as the stock Q-jet?

Hi
    Yes, the Rochester Quqdrajet is the original (but do check the Carb #---mind you ,if you have a 455 in there , someone has changed motors and the original carb to the 68-430 will bind on a 455 intake) That said, Q'jets are certainly plentiful and easy to rebuild and hop up, but Years ago, I had purchased a Carter Thermoquad 800 cfm and it was truly outstanding---more power(larger secondary throttle plates) and better fuel mileage(smaller primary throttle plates).
    hope that helps
    Rob
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1968 Riviera GS (in family 33 yrs)
    1967 Riviera GS

Quadrajet Quandry!

Definetely, the Q jet, especially if its the original carb. You have to match the numbers to find out. GM continually updated them to match the car year and model, even during production, but sadly most have been changed by pep boys rebuilds etc. The one thing that does need rebuild is the throttle shafts, for all carbs, and a good rebuilder can do that, i recommend having it rebuilt if its the original carb. Otherwise a new Q jet, edelbrock work good, same type of carb, and can be fine tuned.

Thanks!

ok Thanks guys, I'm just going to rebuild it then, yup I took out the blown 430 engine and dropped in the 455, well Ill go ahead and buy the kit, should I also replace the float too?

Smile

hi again

do make sure you get the rebuild kit for the number off of the carb on the engine now. New float---might as well.
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1967 Riviera GS

is it a fairly easy task? I know I need to buy plenty of carb cleaner, but is it really too difficult? I have the original 1968 Manual.

thanks

Smile

hi

Well, i guess it can be if youve never done it, i can do it with my eyes closed , but there are a few things that may be tricky. Its best (almost mandatory) to soak it overnight once it is all apart. then blow through all the holes with compressed air.Once its all clean, you can put it together by your computer and if u have msn then put the camera on it and ill guide u through it ---if you liike. give me your @ hotmail address and we'll hook up---- email it to me at rubberto@shaw.ca
    Hi All:
    Just another Riviera Nut
    Currently Own:
    1967 Riviera GS

Thanks, thats a real help! Ill take it out first, hopefully tomorrow. Ill email you to see when you have time. THANKS!
    Which kit would you recommend because I see cheap ones like 18 dollars?
    Last edited by Ihavea69RIV; 05-22-2007 at 06:28 PM.