Thread: Running Very Hot/Radiator Blues

Angry Running Very Hot/Radiator Blues

My 54 Special is running way too hot. Guage is pinned, and hoses are really hot to touch, Radiator itself is not very hot, especially tword the bottom. I'm pretty sure the thermostat's good, and I already did a thorough flush and still have a problem. So I'm guessing I need prepare for the sad fact that the radiator might be junk. I'm gonna go step by step and isolate the problem. But, If the radiator can't be re-conditioned, any idea where I can find one ( none on ebay), or what a compatible/good relacement woud be?
    Last edited by Sickboy54; 04-23-2007 at 11:57 AM.

Did you check the water pump? I would not trust a t-stat to be good I have had ones bad out of the box. I would remove t-stat and see what happens. If the radiator is so clogged that the engine is overheating while it stays cool you could check the flow with a hose. Just a couple thoughts I know how much those radiators cost. If it is the radiator, I got an aluminum one for better cooling. I got a qoute on a recore of my old one it came in over $300.
    Last edited by 53special; 04-23-2007 at 07:10 PM.

That all makes sense, 53..Where did you get the aluminum one, and what did it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy54 View Post
    That all makes sense, 53..Where did you get the aluminum one, and what did it cost?
    I got it at a local speed shop but I know summit carries them as well as other suppliers I just got one that was close to the demensions to the old one as well as hose dia. and locations I had to make a couple brackets to mount it I would recommend trying to find one with sheet meltal on the sides or tanks to make mounting easier. I paid $200 for mine but the tanks are on the sides wich did not matter to me as I am not keping the car original the one with a top tank was more.

Lightbulb Radiator

If it were me I would bring the your radiator to a well know radiator shop and have them boil it out and pressure check it.

Any radiator shop worth it's salt would be able to re-core any radiator.

Ask around at your local Buick Club or car show. Someone there should be able to recommend a reputable vendor.

Look in the yellow pages and let your fingers do the walking.

Remove the t-stat and run it and see if you have the same symptoms.

It you have a cool spot in the radiator. that indicates that the water is not circulating freely and that there is a blockage. If you have a blockage you are not getting you full volume of coolant circulating through your system.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Radiator is out and sent off to be re-cored. Funny, there was no t-stat at all . I guess that was the previous owners "solution" to the overheating problem. We'll get it straightened out.

Running Very Hot/Radiator Blues

Sickboy- I sent my radiator out last winter, had it recored, retained the original tanks and reinstalled it myself. Replaced all the hoses (heater and radiator) at the same time (heater hoses suck because of the the fact that they run under the fender on the passenger side). It was expensive but worth the cost in the end........My 55 Special runs like a top and doesn't get hot anymore........ I would recommend staying with the original cooling system if you want tot keep the original styling of the car.....

Bob

Re-cored, new T-stat, everything put back together and runnin' really sweet .Expected 80 derees out and the day off.

Thumbs up

glad things worked out 4 U

Another problem solved and is now behind you. That's progress

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861