From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: Roof pillar rust - HT to Conv?

Roof pillar rust - HT to Conv?

My roof pillars on my 1955 Buick Special 2 dr HT are really badly rusted. I know this can be diffiult to fix. I had a crazy idea. Would trying to convert it to a convertible be something to consider? I know this is a crazy notion but I'd like to hear some opinions on it.
    1955 Buick Special 2dr HT

Most of the time, you can do anything you want with a car, it just takes money and time. Same applies to this, you can do it, but you will need to reinforce the body and frame, and make adustments to 1/4s deck and all that jazz. My favorite is still carson tops. Gives you a good reason to take the top off, and makes it much easier to work with. Plus, you can have the convertable look, as well as the hard top. if you went with a rag top, you will have to make trunk adjustments and cut a lot of things, and what not. Now im not 100% sure of the set up of these cars, but im almost 100% sure you will need to do a lot more work then its worth to go rag top. Carsons, in my opinion, look really classy, and save a lot of headache when building yourself. If you have the money, and are having a shop do the work, then by all means give them the headache of it.

But as always im a broken record when it comes to conversions like this. Nothing but carson tops for me if ima cut it off. With them you also need to SLIGHTLY less with frame supports, unless your building the engine.
    Hopefully i was some help

-jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

Thanks for the info. I looked up a pic of a 1955 Buick wth a carson top. Not sure I like the look on this car.

I had a 60 buick that someone had done a nice job of cutting the top off but could not get anyone around here to build one for me regardless of cost. The framing was to be $5,000.00 and the tob cover another $2,500.00 but even at that price I could never get them to schedule it in so I sold it for a loss on ebay.

The picture you found does not do justice to any Carson top I have ever seen.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Talking

Hey Rob

I think it would be more appropriate to repair the pillars.
    True it would be expensive. but not nearly as expensive as cutting off the roof and custom fitting a top.

Hopefully you can get a body man who does some "side" work for cash.

A top is only reasonable option in certain climates

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Ross Barker Guest

Lightbulb Cut the top off?

I think a '55 Buick would be a good candidate, I looked at this option myself at one point, in fact I think my buddy has a top from a '57 Chevy stashed away in my barn, he was going to make a removable hard top Convertible. Doing any reinforcing on the frame would be way easier then rebuilding the pillars and U would have a Convertible when U were done. In any case, that big X member frame under there should be fine by itself.

It's been a long time since I looked, but as I remember that top unbolts across the back, Perhaps U could just change it for one from another '55 Buick? I don't remember if I ever looked at the front.

--
    With Best Regards From
    Ross and Eye Barker

Thanks for all the suggestions. I only came up with this idea recently when I took a good look at the pillars and realized they are pretty far gone. Gonna have to shop it around.