Thread: help 1963 skylark

help 1963 skylark

I have an opportunity to purchase a '63 skylark from the second owner. An old lady who has had it in her garage since '85. I just do not know enough about it. What should I know? Good or Bad. How is the Engine, trany, ect.

63 Buick Skylark

I have a 63 Skylark Convertable for 3 months. It's hard to sell because it's a one year model and a unibody construction with tipical rust on the rocker panels and wheel wells behind each tire. I find it to be a fun car to drive and the automatic is smooth and shifts great. If you don't need to find a lot of parts you should be ok. All parts houses go back to 64 and a few items for 63 but not many. I need to replace my center steering link and pitman arm and the only place you can buy it is Rare Parts in Calif. I also need shocks and maybe coil springs but have not located those yet. If the car is a clean complete garaged car it sounds great! Good luck!
    Lepracaun68

help 1963 skylark

Lepracaun68:

I also have a 1963 Skylark convertible; I agree they are fun cars. For rear shocks, I found that Monroe Gasmatics 5757 fit right in with no problems. For front shocks, I used a pair of hot rod "short shocks" that I saw advertised for hot rods in a Speedway Motor Products catalog. Both shocks work great!

it should have the aluminum block and head 215ci v8 if it has a v8. make sure that you can turn the block over, people weren't very good about making sure to use alum compatible antifreeze formulations prior to the 90's.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)