Thread: 52 Roadmaster Valueable for restoration?

52 Roadmaster Valueable for restoration?

Hi guys!
    First, I want to introduce myself, I am an old car maniac since I can't remember. I always had a preference for GM old car and especially Chevrolet. I own a Chevy Caprice 1970 2 doors HT with 454 engine, a 1970 Bel Air HT 2 doors with a 350 engine(3458 units built in/for Canada only) that is in restoration since 2002 and a 1969 Biscayne for parts for the Bel Air. My future project would be a Chevy from 50 to 54, but as others old car enthusiasts, I always have ears wide open of hidden cars somewhere. My brother-in-law's father have a 1952 Roadmaster 2 doors HT in a barn since he can't remember. He would be probably ready to bargain it. I just saw the car last saturday. The car needs a total restoration for sure, it miss grill trims, 2 broken windows(driver's door and passenger door corner), about 85% of the chrome needs restoring, passenger fender needs replacing(past accident), all interior clothing needs new. The car is automatic, have power windows and is maroon with white top. The car is almost complete and all original. I was unable to take a look under the car so I can't say if the car sit low because of any reasons(although all 4 tires were flat).

So, Buick fans, can you tell me if this car worth a restoration? Is it valuable? How many of them still exist right now?(I never saw one around here, we always see 4 doors sedan) Is it hard to found Buick parts in thoses years?

I have to finish my Bel Air first, but this Buick is very beautifull to my eyes. Last summer, I've been to California for vacation and understood that we should not perform restoration on upnorth old cars because old car here are so madly damaged by the winter salt. I was amazed by how clean were the old cars in California area. Upnorth car projects are worst job than restoring a southern car. Do you understand why I am a little bit unwilling for restoring this car? I have to tell you that I'm not a professionnal but I know a lot on cars.

Any helps would be appreciate, thanks!
    Mathieu

As you stated 2dr. Hdtp's are rare, most were 4drs. Depends on your skills & ability's is you want to tackle a project such as this.

Tom T.

I would love to have it as a parts car! Too bad it's probaby 2500 - 3000 miles away...
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Re: 52 Roadmaster Valueable for restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by gadoche View Post
    Hi guys!
    First, I want to introduce myself, I am an old car maniac since I can't remember. I always had a preference for GM old car and especially Chevrolet. I own a Chevy Caprice 1970 2 doors HT with 454 engine, a 1970 Bel Air HT 2 doors with a 350 engine(3458 units built in/for Canada only) that is in restoration since 2002 and a 1969 Biscayne for parts for the Bel Air. My future project would be a Chevy from 50 to 54, but as others old car enthusiasts, I always have ears wide open of hidden cars somewhere. My brother-in-law's father have a 1952 Roadmaster 2 doors HT in a barn since he can't remember. He would be probably ready to bargain it. I just saw the car last saturday. The car needs a total restoration for sure, it miss grill trims, 2 broken windows(driver's door and passenger door corner), about 85% of the chrome needs restoring, passenger fender needs replacing(past accident), all interior clothing needs new. The car is automatic, have power windows and is maroon with white top. The car is almost complete and all original. I was unable to take a look under the car so I can't say if the car sit low because of any reasons(although all 4 tires were flat).

So, Buick fans, can you tell me if this car worth a restoration? Is it valuable? How many of them still exist right now?(I never saw one around here, we always see 4 doors sedan) Is it hard to found Buick parts in thoses years?

I have to finish my Bel Air first, but this Buick is very beautifull to my eyes. Last summer, I've been to California for vacation and understood that we should not perform restoration on upnorth old cars because old car here are so madly damaged by the winter salt. I was amazed by how clean were the old cars in California area. Upnorth car projects are worst job than restoring a southern car. Do you understand why I am a little bit unwilling for restoring this car? I have to tell you that I'm not a professionnal but I know a lot on cars.

Any helps would be appreciate, thanks!
    Mathieu
    Why don't you try to restore it? I think because you don't want the system of restoring it? Or what?

I think there are enough of these around, in complete running condition that you could buy one for far less than what it takes to just start a complete resto. Don,t want to be a wet blanket but if you take a good hard look at what a restoration could entail, you would agree. If you continue looking for one of these I think you could find a good running one, with interior and all. Just my opinion

Unless you REALLY enjoy the process of bringing a car back from the dead and have lots of cash and/or talent, or the car in question is something you REALLY love and have NEVER been able to find, it is always more cost effective to buy the very best example available. Although I have no statistics to draw from, I'm willing to bet that at least 90% of the cars that have been restored will see a loss when the time comes to sell.

Restore it!
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

Smile

This restoration will cost you $40,000. Finish the Bel Air first. Don't start another resto project until you finish the first one or SELL the Bel Air. I just finished a 1949 Buick restoration. The Parts are not easy to come by. SOME are, but the other are tough to find and not cheap when you do find them.

I'm a big car guy too, but a post war car like the one youre talking about is a WHOLE different ball game.

Best of luck no matter what you choose

I am in the same exact boat. I bought a 52' roadmaster 2-door 3 weeks ago straight from a farmers field. The fellow said his dad who passed away owned it and that he had never heard it run in the 20+ years that his father had it.

Well,, it does run and after a tune up and the replacement of 3 bent pushrods it runs quite smooth.

I got this car cheap. It is in rough shape. However i am having a blast working on something WAY before my time.

However it's all what you want. Quite simply right now my goal is to get it to running, driving condition. Few cars make a statement such as an early 50's roadmaster front end coming your way!

I say go for it and pace yourself... i decided to pass right now on making it a perfect driver. After that pressure is removed it makes things alot more fun.