- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: aluminium big block heads

aluminium big block heads

OK, I don't have any more cast heads to work on, and have decided to look at a set of aluminium heads. The two sets that I have seen are TA performance and Edelbrock.

TA performance, 2450.00 assembled, click here

Edelbrock through Gessler, $1798.00 pair assembledclick here

What are the odds that they come from the same foundry?

From my first look, the Edelbrock offering the Chevy rockers has the advantage of using a roller tip under a stock rocker cover.

My intention is to run them with a stock intake and exhaust manifolds with a mild solid cam.

Any comments or experience with either of these? I expect either would be great and that price may be a major consideration...
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Bob,
    I think it would be a mistake not to have some porting done while the in the hands of Mr. Gessler. He only has to look at heads and they start breathing better. He is also great a doing stock appearing manifolds (intake and exhaust). He is about 45 minutes from me, and I have run at least one pair of iron heads to his shop. I picked up .3 seconds with those heads and they had already had a street/strip port (11.70 to 11.40).

TA has become a distributor for the Edelbrock heads. I think they figured they might as well sell them if people want them. I know the TA design has been refined over years of testing, and that is some of what you pay for. The ported Edelbrock may give you the biggest bang buck for buck.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Well, I have been took your advice and talked to Greg! I might spend my allowance this week-month-!
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

What are the odds that they come from the same foundry?

i would say 0%.

TA Performance casts their own heads, have been as long as they've offered aluminums for sale. they derive their Stage 2 head from the original Buick Stage 2 blueprints but they've made some modifications.

Edelbrock has had to make some changes in the upper geometries to get the Chevy rocker assemblies to fit. and doesn't Edelbrock do all of their own casting work?

something to think about, if you go with the Edelbrock i'm sure there will be Beehive valve springs that will plop right in there. really nice if you want high spring rates and/or to turn a lot of rpm.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Your right Bob, you only have to take a qlance at them to know they are different!

Congratulations Bob,

You have officially started down the slippery slope. You will be needing my 525 before you know it!

Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

If I lived within a 100 miles of a drag strip, I am sure I would!!!

I wonder if my wife will notice when the credit card comes through...

get your self some chrysler pistons and go all out if your gonna spend the coin on aluminium heads. Then again, i sing the same tune every time i talk about big blocks
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom