- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight 8 Aftermarket Performance parts...

Straight 8 Aftermarket Performance parts...

Does anyone have any leads on aftermarket performance parts for a 263?
    I was at athe Turlock swap meet and saw an Offenhauser dual carb set up for a 263, but the guy wanted $1800 for it including carbs. Now I kick myself in the butt for not buying it because it's way harder to find than I thought.

Are there any other mfg's out there that sell stuff for these motors? Maybe even a carb upgrade or something?

Any info is good info. Thanks!

Aftermarket performace parts for these things are near zero...you can occasionally find a manifold or something, but they're expensive, as you found out. People have mentioned reground cams, but that's about the extent of it. Have you done a search on this board...there's been lots of good info on hopping up the inline 8, but most of the parts are custom, adapted from other engines, or modified to meet your needs. Good luck!
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

You could probly get a muffler guy to build one for you for $200 and it wud probly be better. Lets face it, look at how simple the 'U FAB' intake manifolds
    are made, you wonder why more people arent making them? The old 'Howards' aluminum 5 and 6 carb manifolds were cast. they were very simple, cud be duplicated very easily with square tube. Just a long tube with runners to the intake ports and then some carb mounts welded on. $1800 Gads i think i,ll make one!!

I have been wondering this myself. Is there some all inclusive faq that shows what parts can be adapted, what distributors can be used, upgrades, enhancements, etc.

I have a 320 but I have been looking to modernize a great deal of the external components, like distributor, carb options, I am already doing a 12v conversion, spin-on oil filter, etc.
    Last edited by Probesport; 02-19-2007 at 12:13 PM.

I have an early two carb manifold with the front exhaust manifold but haven't been able to locate the rear manifold. I know someone on the forum has built a header for these engines so I wonder if they might contact me about one for Bob. I have purchased 3 different exhaust manifolds and none of them will fit as they have all been repaired by welding and are so warped they won't line up with the ports.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

yeah you can buy 2 carb adapters from vintagespeed.com i believe. also can usually find people to make custom headers. i got some from someone on here for around $300 i believe. there are a few small things you can do like that. and take out the belt driven fan and put in a elctrical one. that will free some HP usually.

Thanks

Thanks for the input... I checked out Vintagespeed.com and they have some cool stuff! I'm going to look into fabricating some headers. If I can get my guy to make a batch that will be reasonably priced, I can sell them to fellow Straight 8 enthusiasts. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Straight eight aftermarket performance parts.

The dual carb manifolds from the '41 - '42 Buicks[ 248" ] will fit the 263 engine, but the front dual exhaust manifold won't clear the motor mount. I have seen the dual intake being run with a single exhaust, so it can be done using factory parts. You'd probably do just as well by making headers. There was a fellow on here a while back with a '40 Buick running factory dual exhaust on a 263" but with a single, larger carb. He used the carb from the 320" engine and says it does the job really well. By using the '40 motor mounts with the 263" the dual exhaust manifold will clear.

Try Jalopyjournal.com. Then hit the HAMB. Look for posts from a guy named "Scotch". He seems way up on straight8 performance stuff. As I recall, he's building a 320 now.

Gary

manifolds

I have a couple welded corvette exhaust headers, they are close to the 320 straight 8 exhaust port spacing, they look like they could be modified to fit. Now there could be some things in the way, like steering and motor mounts, I,m just kinda throwing some ideas out right now as i dont have my welding stuff to try it . At least someone might get one built I know lotta guys are lookin for intake and exhaust manifolds. At least if ya could get a set of old headers at a swap meet/wrecking yard you would have plenty of bends to practice with.

Last edited by 39CENT; 12-11-2014 at 03:20 PM.