Thread: 1957 Estate Wagon Engine/Transmission/Parts

1957 Estate Wagon Engine/Transmission/Parts

HI from New Buick Member. I'm starting to gather Info. / parts for restoring a 57 Wagon. My first Buick. It's a long story but the wagon has been on my wifes family farm for 45 of it's 50 years setting dead. I'm going to take this COOL model 49 Wagon and restore it. I've never restored anythig this old. I don't have it at my place yet so I don't have #'s / or view of this wagon right now. I've heard the Dynaflow on these isn't too hot. I plan to stay with the 364 CI but thinking of changing out to 400 or 200R4? What's easier/most cost effective of these swaps? and any info. you'd like to share. When motor's rebuilt. What can I do to gain HP at reasonable price. Couple of things needed are: Wide V Trim on the Driverside, Rear Door. A Frt. Windshield. These wagons appear to have a lot of parts in common with the other57 Specials. What is different? I'll take any info / help from anyone willing to share and use that info. to make my decision on what I'm going with this wagon. I'm not too computer savy either. Thanks For Anyones help.

Thumbs up

Hey Toomay7

WELCOME ABOARD!

You have come to the Right Place!

A '57 Wagon is quite a prize
    it is called an Estate Wagon or a Caballero.

Your 364 would be compatable white the larger 401 introduced in 1959.
    a lot more hop-ups would be alailable with that engine.

You have a Dynaflow Transmission which is really quite strong....However you do have the enclosed driveshaft system which does limit you as far as alternative options go, without spend major bucks.

But what you have is just fine. Your not going to set any land speed records with a 4,400 lb vehicle.

Your Cabby retains much the same parts as a Special or Century.

You can get some decent used parts from Ken Reeves at www.wheatbeltbuick.com.

Regarding your Cabby the parts for your rear doors and quarters are quite singular.

If you run into some stick problem, get in touch

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

57 Estate Wagon 49 Model

Thanks for the reply Tom: My understanding is the Estate Wagon can be a 49 or 49D (Cabellaro) and are 2 different vehicles. There is also a Model 69 Est. Wagon (Cabellaro). If my memmory stands correct. I've got a 49 and I do remember it only has 3 of the fake engine exhaust ports on the front fenders. That would suggest it's not a Cabelarro in my Buick book? Mine only has the 2 barrel carb also. Is the Dynaflow in mine only a 2 speed like the powerglides? Thanks Again Toomay7

me and a couple of buddies just drug one out of the bush a couple of weeks ago, its in pretty tough shape but there,s still lots of parts, gimmie a list of what ya need and I will see what we can do
    To fast old,to slow smart

To fast old,to slow smart

I have a good running 57 364--new oil pump,timing chain set,water pump,re-ground cam and lifters,starter. Plus Bendsten`s adapter to hook up any late model GM tranny. Tri-carb intake too. Torn down and all checked out,new gaskets and repainted Buick green---$1200--I am in Minnesota---weekend run from you.

Thanks for the offer bebop. I know I'll spend that in machine parts alone but I hope to keep this a #'s matching wagon. The transmission has me wondering a bit. I know nothing about these Dynaflow's. toomay7

Tranny rebuild for a Dynaflow---about $1500---engine rebuild can get real expensive, ya ain`t doing a Chebby---Carmen Faso has all the good stuff and Tom T. has good stuff too---good guys and they know their Nailheads Good luck!!

speaking of '57s

Just in case you might need the rear bumper ends, I have a gorgeous pair that I am selling. They've been rechromed, but they don't look as though any significant work was done to them. I was told that they were good condition originals that were rechromed. I'm asking what I paid for them - $950.00 - and want to sell them as a pair. (I can e-mail pictures.) (At one time I owned three Caballero project cars, that's why I bought the bumper ends, but I sold all three when I realized that I would never get around to making one good car out of them.)

You are correct toomay7, there can be an Estate Wagon that is not a Caballero. I know that the Caballero is a four-door hardtop (no posts when the windows are rolled down) but I am not sure if there is a hardtop in the model/s that are not Caballeros. All of the '57 wagons have 4 doors.

Thanks, Bob