From the Reference Section:
- How to choose your new wheels and tires
- Buick Rallye Wheels
- Calculators: Tires, Gears, MPH, etc.
- Wheel Bearing Adjustment, 1963 - 1970
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear end springs-shocks 54 Special

Rear end springs-shocks 54 Special

Cheers from Boston. I'm new on this board as I have just bought a 54 Special. It's my first classic and I'm a rookie so I apologize in advance for all the dumb questions I'll ask...First one- It appears the rear springs were rat rodded by a previous owner (I.E. heat up with torch-presto-lower car) which is fine except that it really softened them up. He also got rid of the origianal rear shock mounts and fabricated new ones (nice job) and then installed what appear to be gas shocks and mounted 'em upside down ( I don't think they even work like that)..So here's my dillemma-I love the way the car sits and looks, but it will bottom out faster than a Kennedy leaving detox ( local joke-please forgive).You also can't change a flat without a lift. My mechanic mentor suggested replacing the springs but I'm against raising the rear end to stock level.(He sees my point).I want to use some kind of adjustable air shock to solve the problem and don't want to spend a mint doing it. Any feedback? Thanks.

Keepin It Low

Sounds like you have a nice ride... Please Post some pics. I'm partial to 54's. I have a '54 48D which is a 2dr Post Special.

YOU can replace the worn out old springs with stock new original ones while cutting one coil off. This will make it lower and an added advantage (or disadvantage) of this is that it will increase the ride stiffness when compared to a stock length new spring.

I would not waste time with the springs that were heated to relax them. To me this is a time bomb waiting to fail. You dont know what the previous owner did to the metal in the springs. You have knee action shocks in the back that have probally seen better days. Some $$$$ to have rebuilt but they proballly need it. Air shocks can be used but it would require some fabrication and welding onto your rear axle housing. Not the simplest or easiest way in my opinion. Maybe someone has some experience with some airbags to fit inside your rear springs. Most seem pricey to me by the time you add up all hardware valves etc..

-Steve

Rear end springs

Hi there sickboy54, here are 2 places, that manufacter rear coils for your car, which will retain proper spring rate, but they can design lower ride height, from 1" drop and so on..www.jamcosuspension.com and www.eatonsprings.com...Rickmay have some solutions to knee shock situations
    Last edited by Silverfox031; 01-31-2007 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks to both of you Gents.. Sounds like the new pre-lowered springs might be the best solution.I was really nervous about trying to guestimate cutting down new stock ones and being wrong..As to the knee action shocks, as I said they are long gone, and someone has already fabricated mounts for straight shocks on. He just installed gas shocks upside down , which is kinda baffleing.

I have springs in my 1956 Special from eaton spring 2" lower than normal nice company to deal with costs about $100. per spring Gives the same ride but lower than standard height

Sledhead,
    Did you have any trouble aligning the front end? Will it still be within specs? thanks, Bill

Wink

The Specs on the Front End of 54-56 Buicks should be 8 degrees or so on the negative side. It makes a noticable difference.

Also you can purchase a Heavy Duty Sway bar 1 1/8 Inches Thick for the Front end. It removes a lot of the roll but doesn't effect the Ride.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    I have springs in my 1956 Special from eaton spring 2" lower than normal nice company to deal with costs about $100. per spring Gives the same ride but lower than standard height
    That's about 1/2 the price of the Jamco springs, I think..I'd love to see a picture of your sled. Any bottom out problems with the 2" drop?

I have the 2" drop eaton springs in the rear of my '54 Special and have had no problems with it bottoming out. I have the original springs in the front with Fatman 2 1/2" drop uprights and I haven't noticed that the ride any more harsh than before I lowered the car.

Question Fat Man Dropped Spindals

Hey 54_Nailhead

How do You like Your Fatman Dropped Spindals?

There have been discussions in the past regarding negative feedback as to the quality, longevity and endurance of the product.

There have been complaints that the spindals just don't hold-up due to poor quality and the failure rating for the product was quite high in the past.

Any problems with installation?

Fill us in on You experience with the product.

Thanking You in advance for You Valued Cooperation in Advance.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861