Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Oil - Bad for old Cars!!!!!!!!

Mr. Head,

I have heard the advice about staying with one oil, and I agree with the logic behind that recommendation. (Basically the logic is that an engine & seals becomes used to a particular additive package, and by changing brands of oil it can cause problems with seals etc.)

However it sounds like the oil companies are revising their formulas (at least for zinc, and who knows what else), which is probably an ongoing process as they look for quality improvements and cost savings. Therefore, do you think that advice is still useful?

-Bob C.

Link to the Lubrication Engineer website... I called them for industrial oil...they do automotive oil too. I asked about the additives (zinc) and they still put it in. I'm sure there are other oil companies that have the stuff.

http://www.le-inc.com/
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

Should we use an additive like slick 50 or equivelant? I think I'm just going to go Electric What else do we need to worry about? Bill

Oil

I use a quart of "Lucas Oil Stabilazer" with my oil changes.
    I hear that that wikk give the lubricating qualities.
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

Should I put anything in with the oil when I fire my new engine?

How much rotella should be used in a 49 S8 to keep it nicly lubricated? i just changed my oil and only drove maybe 10miles....so i guess im clear for now.

I have been a believer in synthetic oil for a long time now, but now ya have me wondering. I have a fresh built 425 nailhead with about 2000 miles on it ,I was planning on putting synthetic in it in a couple of more changes, are the seals in it different than newer motors. I have run synthetic in my peterbilt for years ,and it deffinatly pays, over a million kilometers on my old one ,and the bearings are still like new, also if you live in the cold country you get oil pressure way faster than regular oil because it doesn,t thicken up like molasses. ,and all of us know about the wear and tear of cold starting up in the north country. just my .02 cents worth

but if engine wear is the issue, nothing beats a full synthetic
    To fast old,to slow smart

oil

have you all forgot about the Petty people, STP has a high quality of needed additives. A different way to look at it? in the 1960's how many of us went 150,000 plus on the poor quality of oil of the day. The cheapest of oil of today is light years ahead of 1960. Yet we still change our oil and we that are still orginial are hitting 200,000 plus. Oil has changed for the better, Not to stir the pot, All of us, made it when the lead came out, and adapted to it. So will we to the new oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bates View Post
    Ok.......I got some information today that they have reformulated the oils and removed the additives that the camshafts and lifters, etc. need for proper performance....apparently they reformulated it becuase the old oil was causing fouling of some sensors needed for these new computer driven cars to run properly..............be careful if you are changign your oil