Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Oil - Bad for old Cars!!!!!!!!

New Oil - Bad for old Cars!!!!!!!!

Ok.......I got some information today that they have reformulated the oils and removed the additives that the camshafts and lifters, etc. need for proper performance....apparently they reformulated it becuase the old oil was causing fouling of some sensors needed for these new computer driven cars to run properly..............be careful if you are changign your oil

Talking Re: Oil

Hey Bob

What's Up!

Glad to hear from You as always.

What Are You using for OIL?

It has been suggested by some other member to use Rotella which has some Zinc in it to HELP! with Lubrication. It is oil used for Diesels.

I don't think Synthetic Oil would be wise to use in a "Nailhead"

Perhaps some Fellow Members could step-up and suggest something positive.

I don't want to stir-up a Hornets Nest.

I'm sure that there will be different opinions on the Subject Matter.

Lets see what others have to say.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

I've used the Rotella with good results. They are constantly working on their formulas though! I bought oil from Lubrication Engineers in TX. I talked to one of their engineers and they still have the zinc in the formula. Its also Red!
    Ted
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

the new CJ-4 formulation for Rotella that you're seeing on the shelves still has some zinc, that's true. but it's extremely reduced from the previous CI-4 formulation that was used prior to ~Oct of 2006.

you can still order CI-4 Rotella in bucket or larger sizes from your local Rotella jobber.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Recently built modded motor for my son's Z/28 and machine shop told us NOT to use synthetic oil for initial crank up and next oil change . Only after very thorough break in could we use synthetic . Can anyone enlighten me on the reason for that . thanks

Smile Rotelola Oil

I work for a large auto parts chain and in a recent newsletter it noted that using Rotella oil is the way to go if you want the wear additives that have been taken out of regular motor oil. It is true that even Rotella will eventually have the zinc and other additives removed, so the solution for now is to use Rotella to decrease wear. Also you don't use synthetics for break in because it does not allow the metals to properly wear, causing insufficient wear for good sealing. Go with good dinosaur oil for break ins, and then go to synthetics.

New Oil - Bad for old Cars!!!!!!!!

Ok.........since we agree the new oils are bad what do we sue if we can not get Rotella?

Bob

GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) used to be good but i believe they've taken the zinc out of that as well.

however, i think there are oil additives on the shelf at your local auto parts store which DO have the zinc compound we need.

and, as i noted, you can still get CI-4 (high zinc) Rotella. try asking your parts guy if he can order it for you if nothing else.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

So do we just have to all get roller cams?

My 455 is a daily driver, and if the current trend continues, I don't see the car being able to continue for a long time...

-BC

us a good grade and brand of oil ,stay away from any synthetic oil if you have rope or old style rubber seals, old style seals are not made for these synthetics. Rotella oil is a very high detergent oil only unit in Cat diesel engines to day. Delvac has replaced Rtotella in the diesel engine market. I've been in the truck business since 1966 just to give you some fath in knowing what i am talking about. Stay with 1 brand of oil do not switch back and forth. Let us know how thing are working out.