- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Tranny and rear end options?

Tranny and rear end options?

Hello all, I just bought another 61 invicta project and I'm going to stick with the 401 for now, maybe look for a 425 down the road but the tranny has to go. I had the dynaflow in another 61 rebuilt for just under $1300 and the transmission worked great but this time I'd rather put that money toward a conversion that will do the 401 some justice. I know I am doing a conversion, and I know I'm going to narrow the rear end and I also want a posi. What I don't know is what tranny or adapter I should use or what I should do about a rear end. It seems like the bendtsens adapters are pretty nice, and I'll probably end up using a 400 but I'm not sure. Any advice or experience will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, TR

Check out the Identify your tansmission thread it has a picture of a sp400 out of a 65 riv with a 401 .I am working on placing it in a 63 riv and am using acrank flange adapter in bought off ebayItem #8061410374.Follow thread will let you know how things go

A 12 bolt Chevy rear end would be nice, but good luck finding one anymore. Another popular rear end is the 8.5 GM corporate rear end. There are plenty of parts for them and parts are cheaper than others. They are easy to upgrade too. There is always the 9 inch Ford or 8 3/4 Mopar. The 8.8 Ford is a good strong rear end with plenty of parts available. Do you have an idea of what you want?
    Moser Engineering dealer

No I dont really know what I want other than a good posi rear end. I guess it doesn't really matter all that much because no matter what I use I will have to do a fair amount of work, but obviously the less work the better. I'm planning on running a 12" wide tire and I will be bagging the car, and using 2006 vette brakes all around.

Check with Carmen Faso--he`s out east and he makes the crank flange you will need along with a flex plate he has designed--if you need it. Then you can hook up a SP or TH 400 from a 64-66 Buick. If you are using your old drive shaft you may get lucky and it will work. Go Ford nine inch for the rear and use one out of a Bronco with the 3300lbs axels--beefy unit. Lots of them around and the fab guys work on them alot. Good Luck!!!

I also just bought a 61 Lesabre that needs a tranny. I have a 64 st400 I'm going to put behind it and see how I like it. I have the bushing/flange for the crank but still need the flexplate and I guess a 64-66 starter. If I like the way this lesabre turns out I'll probably go the same route with the Invicta. What are my chances of finding a posi rear end that is a couple inches shorter than the buick and has a 5x4.75 bolt pattern?

Thumbs up st400

I have a 65 Riv and intend on removing the st400 and install the Bentsend's bell housing and a T56. I am not exactly sure of the time frame yet but the st400 and flex plate will be available. I have owned the car for about 6 months and driven about 30 miles to speeds up to 50 mph and it feels solid.

Oh yeah, I just love what bendtsen did for my '63, converting the dynaflow to a 700R4. It shifts like horse sh__ now.

'63 Riviera
    '73 Riviera
    '76 Riviera
    '70 Eldorado
    '78 Tornado
    '94 Lex-***; it's good for something--getting parts!