Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help GS newbie

Question need help GS newbie

Hello and let me introduce myself
    Im Rick proud parent of a New teenage Buick maniac!
    It all started innocently enough when Grandpa decided to give my 16 year old son the old buick he had slobbered all over in the barn for years.
    this a 1970 Buick GS 455 ALL original 51K car.
    well of course @ 16 we must try a powerstall....goodbye 37 year old rearend.... hello Uncle Rog (now favorite Uncle Rog)
    'come get old buick setting in pasture since 73 has motor and rear end intact'...welcome new yard ornament 1969 GS400 Stage1 convertable
    Pulled rear end and it is a POSI best I can tell from turning wheel 3:55?
    Can anyone tell me if this is the STOCK rear end in this stage 1?
    and am I making a huge mistake butchering this 69?
    Thanks Rick

sorry my only advise is fix the diff for him, take 4 plug wires off and don,t give them back till he,s 30
    To fast old,to slow smart

Not sure what you mean by "Butchering" it.

If you are gonna restore it, or even "lightly" modify it, then that is great. If you plan on turning it into some oddball speciman (i.e. orange-fleck paint job with 24" wheels and neon lights etc.), that wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Is this a 1970 or a 1969? Or, are you talking about two different cars? I'm confused. Also I'm not sure who Uncle Rog is, or how he fits into the picture...

-Bob C.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "Butchering" it.

If you are gonna restore it, or even "lightly" modify it, then that is great. If you plan on turning it into some oddball speciman (i.e. orange-fleck paint job with 24" wheels and neon lights etc.), that wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Is this a 1970 or a 1969? Or, are you talking about two different cars? I'm confused. Also I'm not sure who Uncle Rog is, or how he fits into the picture...

-Bob C.
    clarification...
    2 vehicles
    the 70 GS455 that blew the rearend
    AND a 69 gs400 stage1 convertable that i am stealing rear end out of.
    "butcher" definition
    should i part out the 69 stage one convertable to get 70 455 back on the road
    Am I salvaging a classic that should stay whole with possible matching #s?

after thinkin about it bobc455, I don,t think I would part out the 69 unless it is a basket case , diffs are reasonably easy to find ,but sounds like a convertable buick wood be something to get wood over
    To fast old,to slow smart

I would first pull the cover off the rear and see what the extent of the damage is. Then I would consider a posi and whatever else is required to put it back on the road. It would probably be a good idea to make it a 10 year project to aid in the survival of both the car and your son...

he has a daily driver now that he likes so the GS is gonna see some "garage time" I will post some pics tomorrow of both...
    Back to my original question can anyone tell me for sure if the POSI I have in the 69 Stage1 could be stock? I seem to remember a post that said NO GS came out with a Posi? Is this a stage 1 option on the 69 Convertable? a posible retro? or a different rearend?

PS I REALLY like the 4 plug wire idea.....he still hasnt figured out why the 4BBL wont kick in....

The disabled rear end broke the carrier pin @ 70 mph all the parts were in the bottom of housing including spiders. talked to eaton and ....the other company....couldnt get a straight answer about an upgrade carrier to posi unit without serious and expensive modifications. I AM NOT well versed on rear ends. so R&R seemed my best route to proceed.
    The 'uncle Rog' is my brother that gave me the 69 buick stage 1 with a good rear end. My fear is that I may be salvaging a car worth more than the one i am fixing!
    OF COURSE money is an issue and FREE is great!
    hope I havent confused this more....
    Last edited by 16yr old son has gs455; 01-22-2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: completion

First of all, GSs did come with Posi.

Second, rearends are not too bad to have rebuilt. I bet you could have the original rearend rebuilt to modern specs for less than $1000, and have it ready to last the next 20 years. And the posi unit in the '69 might not even work right any more either.

Third, you have two very desirable cars there! I would not part out that '69 unless it is a complete wreck, and not salvagable (which is a definite possibility with a convertible that's been sitting in the rain/mud for 25+ years). The '69's are my personal favorite, and the convertible GS is a great looking ride. I'd try to save it!

Third, you have two very desirable cars there!

amen!

both of those cars can sell for quite a bit of money. if it's restorable at all i'd expect $5 thousand out of the 69 (course, it doesn't imply good things that it's been out sitting in a field for years).

I seem to remember a post that said NO GS came out with a Posi?

not likely. 'Gran Sport' or 'GS' may have been more of a trim option than a performance one but it was still the car most often used on the drag strip. remember, ALL Stage 1 cars (and the Stage IS the performance option) are GS's and all of them came with posi.

see this page:
    http://www.hu.mtu.edu/~ddcronkh/1970_gs455.html
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

see this page:
    http://www.hu.mtu.edu/~ddcronkh/1970_gs455.html[/quote]

Thank you this is an AWESOME site
    only 212 convertable stage1 69 GS400s!!!!