- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: New guy stuck in a strange land please help

New guy stuck in a strange land please help

Well, this is what happens when a Mopar guy messes around in Buick land. I am building a Model A street rod and wanted to put a nailhead in it, I got a lead on one, was told it was a 425 out of a 65 buick and that it had the stick tranny with it, the guy wanted to trade me a bowtie four bolt main block I had in the shop doing nothing with. OK I admit I know next to nothing about nailheads and when I went to pick it up I thought it looked like one to me. Its not, after reading thru here and doing a little research I have found out that I am the proud owner of a plain old 300 two barrel. This still interests me tho, it definetly has the odd factor covered pretty well, so before I make up my mind I want to find out what all is available for this engine and any advice you guys can give me about it Thanx J M

www.TAPerformance.com should be your first stop for 300 parts.

you can check with Rover suppliers for a lot of dress up stuff, chrome valve covers and the like.

the fearsome turbo v6's of the mid-80's Grand Nationals are actually based on this block (i think your bores are .05" narrower). the stock v6 block has been known to hold up to 1000hp levels. as a 2v engine is going to be one of the lower compression setups, turbo would probably be your best bet for performance build up on this. if you're going to swap in forged pistons the existing CR is meaningless ... Buick tended to control CR with piston dish.

try putting it on a scale. you might be pleasantly surprised by how light it is. the Buick 350 (which is a tall deck version of this block) weighs in around 450 lbs ... as compared to a Chevy 350 which is a little under 600.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)