Identification, VIN, Trim, Engine Specs and more... 
 '50   '51   '52   '53   '54   '55   '56   '57   '58   '59   o 
 p 
 e 
 n 
 '60   '61   '62   '63   '64   '65   '66   '67   '68   '69 
 '70   '71   '72   '73   '74   '75   '76   '77   '78   '79 
Canadian car identification here: Serial Numbers 1935-1964 | 1965-1966
and more information in the reference section here.

Thread: engine identification

engine identification

Hi. I'm new to this site and would like some help in determining if I have the correct engine in my 71' Electra.
    The distributor is up front and tilts to the driver side, six bolt valve covers. The only numbers I can find are stamped into the block on the driver side below the head. The numbers appear to read: 41(G or 6)123846. Any help identifying the engine will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Fast Jimmy

"4 1 G 123846" is your Engine Identification Number ( EIN ), not a casting number.

4 = Buick
    1 = 1971
    G = Framingham, MA
    123846 = matches the last 6 digits of the VIN of the car the motor came from

you can find the casting numbers for the heads if you pull the valve covers. the intake should also have an easily visible number (see if "350" is marked on the intake somewhere) and the block casting numbers should be at the back in the saddle at the top of the trans bell.

bad news, 6 bolt valve covers is a 350. all Electra's came with a 455 ( 5 bolt valve covers ) from the factory.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks

Thanks Bob, I kinda knew it would too good to be true seeing as how cheap it was to aquire it, " if you want to haul it away, you can have it". But, the thing runs, just needs some minor work and parts and a heavy duty clean-up. Which leads to a follow up question, it's missing the power steering pump and more importantly the pump mounting brackets. Does anyone know what brackets other than off a 71' will work?

Thanks again, Fast Jimmy

as far as the PS pump, i really have no idea about the bracketry. i know with a big block there are long and short nose water pumps which of course throw all of the other pulley's out of alignment.

if it was me i'd probably just try to find a serp belt set up off of a late 80s Regal/GM with a 231 or 3.8L v6. the v6 is a 350 with a short deck, minus 2 cylinders. other than that almost everything interchanges between the two motors.

OTOH, it's not that much work to put a big block back in the car. primary items are a new fan shroud ( SB fan shroud puts the fan opening too low ), and BB motor and frame pads.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

where are you? if you happen to decide against the car i could probably find a use for it.
    Vladimir Lenin

Thanks again

Thanks for the response Bob. I'm in Indiana. I'll probably keep the car and use it as is until I can find a deal on a 455.

Fast

Question transmission compatibilty

It now appears that the transmission is going south. It's a turbo 350. I have access to a 700 R4 out of an 89' Chevy van that's in good shape. Will it bolt right up to the 71' Buick 350 engine? Or do I need to locate a BOP bolt pattern specific trans. I know I will have to change the tranny mount crossmember and driveshft length. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9781

no, it won't bolt up. different 6 bolt pattern. if you want to use a 700r4 you'll have to buy an adapter plate.

find a 200r4. they're cheap and plentiful and all of them have dual bolt pattern bells so they'll bolt up to either BOPC or Chevy pattern engines.
    Last edited by bob k. mando; 02-03-2007 at 03:45 PM.
    Vladimir Lenin

Thanks

Thanks again Bob, you've been a graet help.