Thread: Buick 225 V6 Performance building

Buick 225 V6 Performance building

I am installing a 225 V6 in a sand rail and am looking for tech info (parts interchange) and sources of performance parts. At the moment I am concidering trying to set a mid 80's 231 even fire intake with turbo on this engine. Are the intakes interchangable? What parts are interchangable between this engine and later even fire Buick V6 engines?

wow, there's not a lot of guys trying to hot rod 225 v6's.

you've probably noticed that....

this is primarily a v8 board so i don't know how much expertise we're going too be able to bring to bear on this.

i can tell you that all of the Buick v6's were derived from the Buick small block v8 family and that you can usually interchange parts directly between them. for instance, your pistons and rods would be a direct swap into a 300 and your timing cover would work with any Buick v8 from 215 ci (yes, smaller than your v6 ... it was an aluminum motor) to 350 ci.

as to interchange info between 225, odd and even 231, 3800s and 4100s you'd probably be better served on a turbo buick board.

www.tp6.com

www.turbobuick.com

http://articles.motorswap.org/
    Last edited by bob k. mando; 01-01-2007 at 08:48 PM.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Re: Wow!

You are not kidding, lol. Not many people want to push these little engines but mine is in just too good of shape to let it fade away. It has served me well over the years and I am sure it will continue doing so. Thanks for the info.

check with www.TAPerformance.com , i hear tell they might have some stuff.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Re:www.TAPerformance.com

Excellent site. This company has much that will work for the 225 odd fire.

What I have found so far is that the oil pan from a 231 will fit as well as the valve covers. The front timing chain cover is the same as the 350 V8. Taperformance has cams, roller rockers, etc... that will boost this engine.

Still looking for a high flow water pump, conventional drive (non electric).

Thanks for the info. I am off and running. Keep any tips coming.

Vladimir Lenin

Still workin on it

this is what I have so far. The oil pans are the same seal surface. Beware of depth as the oil pick up tube may have to be lengthened/shortened to work properly. The valve covers are the same seal surface but 2 holes in the 231 pattern cover will need a slight "elongation" to work. Nothing drastic, just a 1/16 or so. The intake manifold from a 231 even fire turbo is the same bolt pattern, angle, and placement of runners as the old 225 odd fire BUT one has to drill and plug the exhaust passage in the center of the odd fire heads OR cut your own gasket. The turbo manifold will also need a little "tig" work and then eventual grinding/filing to make the tob/bottom of the passages to mate properly to handle high boost pressures. The newer manifold has taller passages and need filling to make a good solid seal that won't blow under high boost pressure. also pay close attention to the newer manifold as it has an EGR passage the old did not have. I just filled mine and removed and blocked the EGR passages. What I am going to try next is to reinstall the old manifold and mount the turbo on that as in order to use the newer manifold, I had to mill out a spacer block to life the turbo/carb up 2 inches to clear the valve covers. The older manifold has about the same size runners and will seal better. it is also taller and I will be able to remove the spacer needed for valve cover clearence. it also does not have the EGR passage. I will keep you posted.