Thread: The current state of my engine etc - pictures

The current state of my engine etc - pictures

Pictures of what work lies ahead for me. Here is a link to some pictures that I took to aid in discussion. Of particular interest are the pictures that show how badly cracked my intake manifold is.

http://www.pangalacticconsortium.com...buickresto.htm

I also noticed that the choke heat pipe is cracked at the exhaust manifold. This must be a common problem. Is this something that I can fabricate myself (it is rusty enough that I can't see how it is fabricated).

The crack on my intake manifold (on the engine side, just below the carburetor) is bad enough that I have assumed that it is beyond repair (am I right)? Anyway, I thought that I found another one but it appears to be the wrong one because it only has three studs for the carburetor (and the induction holes look smaller). I think that I need to find the right one.

Does anyone know if new ones are available? I expect that the answer is no. Does anyone know where I might find one for sale?

Rebecca
    1950 Buick Super Riviera
    1958 Desoto Firesweep
    http://www.pangalacticconsortium.com/cars/cars.htm

I believe your intake manifold part number to be, 1338252. It fits 1950-51-52 series 40-50 and 1953 series 40.

I cannot see the crack in the pictures, probably my eyes... , but there is little that cannot be repaired. Your manifold should not be too hard to find, there are two fellas in the classifieds advertising parts that may fit.

I don't notice anything on ebay at the moment, but that is somewhere to watch.

There is someone offering new replacements for the small straight eight, but I don't know if they have the 3 or 4 stud carb. I don't know, but I would suspect from what you say, the small port 3 stud is probably the earlier manifold.

If they continue to elude you, I can probably find you one.

in two months or so i am getting a intake manifold off a guy and am going to be ceramic coating it. after that ill have a spare 3 bolt intake manifold. its for my 49 super...dont know if it would fit. and i have an exhaust manifold...but it was welded for 2 exhaust pipes....

looks like a pretty fair original car, which means its all there. not bad. the manifolds arent that hard to find, and usually they dont have your kinda problems, looks like maybe someone screwed in too long a stud. make sure u get the 4 bolt as its the one you should have. that may be the original carb so try and keep it, have it rebuilt by good rebuilder. all that muck and grease is a good sign its all original, which in most cases is the best to restore, as those parts are usually worth rebuilding.

I am guessing that what happened was the heat box valve stuck and the intake manifold was over heated. I noticed that some vendors sell this part with the heat deflector missing (or stuck one way on purpose to prevent the hot air from reaching the intake manifold). I guess if you don't drive the car in the winter you might not need it anyway.

Rebecca
    1950 Buick Super Riviera
    1958 Desoto Firesweep

I did find an intake manifold at Wheabelt. I don't know yet if it is a very good one (not reconditioned, rusting out in a field). As long as it is not cracked it should be ok I think. Can I just sandblast and paint it?

Rebecca
    1950 Buick Super Riviera
    1958 Desoto Firesweep

send it to jethot...they will oxide blast it and cermic coat it. will last a lifetime. and will cost around $200-300. plus get better airflow.

Can I just sandblast and paint it?

well, if it's really been "rusting out in a field" for any length of time the runners have probably been pretty severely pitted and will have very poor flow. so you'd need to have somebody do some porting or extrude honing to clean it up at the least.

but that's not what's important. what's important is: where are you guys keeping the Gargle Blasters?

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I just had one of those but now I can't remember anything.
    Rebecca
    1950 Buick Super Riviera
    1958 Desoto Firesweep