Thread: New to the site...

special k Guest

New to the site...

Hello everybody, I recently purchased a '65 Special convertible. It's pretty plain and needs a lot of work, but I think it is going to be a fun cruiser someday soon! The top is toast, the floors are rusty, the rear quarters are rusty and there is a bit of bondo on the rear panel. But, the interior is in really good shape, only the door panels will need to be replaced.

I trailered it home, as it was non-running when I bought it. Tonight I managed to get the engine running. The car was last registered in 1977, so it's been sitting for awhile. I was pleased to note that there was no visible smoke in the exhaust, so it seems that the old V6 may still have a little life left in it .

I'm itchin' to take it for a spin, but the brakes are shot. I've got a complete rebuild kit on the way from Kanter Auto parts and four new tires ready to go. I'll probably tackle the suspension next, I like to get a vehicle driving, handling and braking safely before I take it out on the open road. It looks like the rear shocks may be the originals, they have the spiral groove. The fronts have been replaced somewhere along the way.

I've done a little searching on the forums, looks like a lot of good info here! I still probably have a question or two as I continue to tear into things...

Kenny

Sounds like a good project that you're going to have a lot of fun with!

Welcome to the site
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Smile welcome

Hi Kenny: I have a 1965 Buick Electra convertible I am working on, I am just preparing for an inspection for registration. You will find lots of help and good advice here, I have.
    Dave

nice cars good luck finding quarters,ive been looking for 5 years
    ive passed on hacking quarters off 2 nice cars,damn morals anyways.show us a pic,mines been a project since 1975
    Last edited by 65specialconvert; 06-12-2007 at 07:05 AM.
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

Welcome to Team Buick
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861