- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: Big Port 430

rastis Guest

Big Port 430

I came back from the bone yard today with a 72 455.
    While I was there I spotted a 455 out of an Electra, the blk #'s say
    70-71.
    The intake #'s say 70,(couldn't remove valve cover for head #),
    going back next weekend to purchase.
    To the point.
    I also located a 68 Riv with 1384720 head #'s(valve covers were loose)
    My reference says Big Port.
    Someone speak wisdom at me.
    I've been on a 22 yr hiatus.No internet back then , Just K-B.
    At the time I did all the block mods, matched ports etc., friend deepened my pan, bought a
    longer pick-up from K-B, adjustable rods and cheater cam (sounded awesome, ran great), and Hooker headers (slip tube to wrap around the frame, hope I don't have to do it again, cut the inner fender that is but if need be....
    The kids are old enough for fat daddy to play again.
    Engine first (good winter project)car in spring unless niceness is spotted
    sooner.

If the price was right, I'd probably drag it all home!

Unforutunatly the price is right is controlled by two things. Do you have lot's of spare cash, or is the price so low that you can easily sell the item for more than you paid for it.

Being as he is offering them at 300 and they are in his yard still, I would whine a bit and offer 450 or 500 for the lot. If I had to make a choice after that, I would bring home the 430 first, then the older 455.

There is a good chance that the 70-71 455 has everything you would want depending on what you are going to build. Good luck!
    Last edited by rcull; 09-10-2006 at 07:30 AM.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

since you already brought the 72 home i'm assuming you're looking at the other blocks for parts?

on the up side, the 430 has the smaller combustion chamber ( higher native CR ) and hopefully has the 'big port' exhausts.

on the down side, the 430 oils the rockers by weeping through the shaft ( the 455's oil through the pushrods ), it uses a different size pushrod than the 455, smaller diameter head bolts and the 455 block may or may not be the 'double scallop' water passage arrangement.

IF the 455 is a 1970 it will have the same size combustion chamber as the 430 heads and you won't have any problems at the head/block/intake interfaces except for the possible double scallop issue. it might also have the larger stage valves but you won't be able to tell without pulling the head.

hire an engine man to do some basic porting and head work and the 1970 head will be better than the 430 whether or not the 430 has big ports.

now if that's a 71 engine it will have practically the same heads as the 72 and i'd probably try to deal with adapting the 430s.

of course the best option would be aluminum TA heads. those flow as good out of the box as a heavily massaged factory iron head and you're saving +75lbs. it also lightens your wallet at the same time so you don't have to walk funny.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)