- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: 322 egine question and brake question for 53 roadmaster and super

322 egine question and brake question for 53 roadmaster and super

I have found that the roadmaster has good chrome, strong trans and motor with P/S and a good body, Anyone know a secret in getting the brake resivoir cap off? I need to change a line and bleed. The Super has good complete interior... weak body around bottom of doors. The A/c has no compressor.I by passed the fuel pump with a 12v electronic and it runs pretty strong. I am getting a lot of oil from behind the carb around the distrib. I don't know why......any suggestions? AND Steam like (posibbly smoke) from the fill cap cap. No collant in oil, and Collant is still green. Oil gauge is pegged out. No tapping noise though. No Smoke in exhaust.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks
    Dom

The "steam" from your oil cap is most likely oil vapor. Has your engine been run recently? I seem to get that more from the old engines that have been sitting a while. Excessive crankcase pressure from sludgy oil and rings and valve seals that allow lots of blowby.

I usually try some light kerosene or diesel fuel mixed with some new (but cheap) motor oil for long enough to break all of the sludge loose and then change the oil.

Then some 5w-30 conventional motor oil with a light amount of running to try to break in the rings once more. You will still have some vapor because you don't have good enough valve seals to stop it all.

Last, you need to pull the intake and the valley cover after you run the engine flush mix through it and then clean out the valley and the blow by tube/fill tube as much as possible.

Good luck!!
    I like putting buick engines where they don't belong.

Awesome... Thanks

I will try that. Who ever started this website is AWESOME. people from all over combined is a wealth of knowledge...
    Dom

Don't forget that your engine doesn't have a PCV system. With the car not moving enough to suck the vapors from the road draft tube, some vapors will come out the breather at idle. They have to go somewhere!
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

I will assume that the '53 is similar to the '55.If so the oil to the rear of the carburetor might be due to a loose distributor hold down clamp.Have you checked to see if the distributor shaft has a serviceable "o" ring?If those parts are okay,I'm just as as you.
    iddie

Thanks for all the help..

I am finding it more and more reasonable to sell the pair of 53's. If I do, Then I will post it to team buick first. The people here would be able to benefit from these more than me.
    Dom