Thread: I need solid advise for a daily driver

I need solid advise for a daily driver

I have a 1953 buick super.. Missing P/s pump, trans is bad, not sure of engine, but laks fuel at pump. I would like to make a nice daily driver. It needs doors and windows. Would it be easier to just get a 305 or 350 and th 400 put in? would it be possibleto keep my steering wheel and all interir equipt. the same. If I get a alternator set up; what should I expect as far as ampheres and voltage regulatoin, Where can I find info for conversion. Also I might as well change rear end (or do I)? Is there a comperable front end to convert to disk breaks?
    I know I ask a lot, but, I need a lot of help......
    Vadar

you can change to an alternator easily. change it to a 12 volt system with a 1 wire alt. change your light bulbs. but all gauges would need to be updated. and usually the distributor contents need to be updated to 12volt componets. there are disk brake conversions available for around $1,500? does the fuel pump leak or is there a leak in the line? should put in new line and filter anyway. is it a dynaflow trans? cuz when they are bad, man they are a hassel in their own way. youre looking at about $300 in parts and as much as $1,200 in labor for a ful rebuild of it. did 53 have a Straight 8 engine? if so, i say dont swap it. they are awesome engines.

Here's the basic info you want on the alternator,
    http://www.buicks.net/techref/ftecref14.html

You should have a nailhead in there. The early nailhead was so tough that chevy used them in their trucks. If you cam has not been changed out, it should be a steel cam instead of a cast iron one. In those early years Buick did not have cam failures like other american makes.

The motor should be a keeper. I think the Dynaflow is as good as any early automatic transmission if it is rebuilt properly, it should give you good service. If you are willing and able to do the work, a turbo 350 with a 10 bolt might be nice for a daily driver. Adaptors are available, but there is a lot of work to changing over.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Hey thanks

Thanks for the information... It is a tought decision to whether or not to even keep it. I am so glad to find this site. good people helping one another...
    Vadar

I had a 53 roadmaster in 1964 which i bought when i got out of the service. the transmission slipped and leaked, it was the front pump as i recall. The rebuilder told me it was common on these, and was called the impellor plate i think? Anyway it was scored and the fix was a hardened plate, plus they rebuilt the trans. You have to go hunting for the steering pump but it shudnt be hard to find. The steering and original equip shud be ok to use. I have heard of disc brakes being installed and that would be the best money spent on any old car in daily use. the rearend usually doesnt give problems unless its been neglected. The engine is a modern design and has a very good longevity record. The main thing is to find a 'good' mechanic, as these old cars arent thrown together like the 'cookie cutter; new cars, and need special attention for each model. there is an brake rebuilder out here in Long Beach ca. that will machine you brake drums and drill them for better performance. It was a old racers tip that was used back in the day! Look up 'C.H. Topping' in google or 'drilled drums' . Almost as good as disc,s.

Once again, thanks... I have more ?'s

I have found that the roadmaster has good chrome, strong trans and motor with P/S and a good body, Anyone know a secret in getting the brake resivoir cap off? I need to change a line and bleed. The Super has good complete interior... weak body around bottom of doors. The A/c has no compressor.I by passed the fuel pump with a 12v electronic and it runs pretty strong. I am getting a lot of oil from behind the carb around the distrib. I don't know why......any suggestions? AND Steam like (posibbly smoke) from the fill cap cap. No collant in oil, and Collant is still green. Oil gauge is pegged out. No tapping noise though. No Smoke in exhaust.
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks
    Dom