Thread: Engine trouble!!! Help!!!

Engine trouble!!! Help!!!

Hi, my nae is Rick and I recently(a couple of years ago) recieved a 70 buick wildcat from my father in-law. The body was barely hanging on but the 455-4 was recently rebuilt. So(please forgive me), I installed it into my 62 c-10 fleetside pick-up. Now it had overheating problems before but the problem still exists with it in the truck. That is not my problem. I just wanted to know the correct timing for this engine. Also, it runs fine at idle and revs o.k., but when I am driving, if it goes over 2000 rpm, it runs itself out of gas. New fuelines, pick-up, pump and carb, so I am stumped. HELP!!!???
    Last edited by richie70; 08-01-2006 at 09:15 AM. Reason: changed title

Do a fuel pressure test at the carb. and report back.
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

Talking richie70

Thanks, I just got back fro y buddies shop, and found that the filter in the carb was almost completely blocked with crud. I guess the tank has alot of junk inside that is small enough to get through the screen in the tank but got trapped by the filter. I didn't even think that was the cause of the problem. I have a new glass in-line filter now so I can keep an eye onn it. Lots of get up and go now!!

Running lean can make it run hot. So maybe that will be better now.

I won't be surprised if you still need to improve your cooling system, however. That's a big motor.

Initial timing is usually 8 - 10 degrees or so, but I always tune each engine by driving & listening.

-Bob Cunningham

I have a new glass in-line filter now

it's been reported that the glass filters have a tendency to get brittle and break. not a good situation to have raw fuel getting dumped all over your motor.

besides:
    I guess the tank has alot of junk inside that is small enough to get through the screen in the tank but got trapped by the filter.

the filter isn't your problem, it's a band-aid. the new filter will also almost certainly pack up. you need to drop that fuel tank and give it a good cleaning with a wet vac and compressed air.

if there's stuff 'small' enough to get past your pickup screen there's stuff that's a lot bigger in there too.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I am going to get the cooling system flushed good, maybe save up for a nice large aluminum rad. Thanks again,
    Cheers, Richie70
    Last edited by richie70; 08-14-2006 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling

68 Custom Guest
    With the 455 in the fleetside, and possible overheating problems, I'd make sure you have proper air flow through the radiator...including the proper sized fan and fan shroud and air dam beneath.

Even a 3-core radiator can't dissipate the heat if air isn't 'directed' through the radiator.