- 1964-1967 SP400 Parts Images
- How to wire the Switch Pitch on a Buick Transmission
    - 400 auto codes
- BOP Bellhousings and Automatic Identification

Thread: Recommended Troubleshooting tools for 1993 Park Avenue Ultra

mpmahan Guest

Recommended Troubleshooting tools for 1993 Park Avenue Ultra

I am looking for a recommendation for a reasonably priced shop manual and code reader for my 1993 Park Avenue Ultra. I have had 5 different repair shops systematically destroy this once pristine vehicle. The car only has 40,000 miles and has a great body, frame and interior - so, I would like to keep it if possible.
    Unfortunately, the engine makes a growling sound and the transmission whines after the last mechanic took the car on a 150 mile joy ride after replacing the interior wiring harness after the previous mechanic melted the harness after putting a paper clip in a 30A fuel pump socket that kept blowing fuses. This was within 2 years of the Buick dealer not putting in enough transmission fluid after a routine flush and the transmission burning up and a local shop installing rebuilt transmission that violently snaps into each gear and then telling me they wish all of their rebuilt transmissions worked this well. Not to mention, having the same dealer replace the head gasket twice since the first replacement leaked within 6 months. Of course, I still saved money after a 2nd Buick dealer wanted to replace my entire A/C for $1200 because it didn't cool down after a refill - I managed to find an honest mechanic that charged me $25 for the A/C relay.
    I know I should sell it and cut my losses but this car is beautiful and more comfortable / powerful than many of the cars I've been in. So, I would like to get involved with the diagnosis and hopefully prevent any further damage. Any troubleshooting / diagnostic tool recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks - Mark

Sounds like you've had a bad time! Generally the dealer is the most reliable place to go...

The factory shop manual is the best reference to have. If the reading is a little dry you can pick up a Haynes or Chiltons, but it's always nice the have the factory for a back up.

Here is one on ebay that is an original factory manual, only two days left and bid twice what it's going for in the last few minutes

Click here

If saving money is important to you, you will learn to shop ebay.
    Last edited by rcull; 07-21-2006 at 05:21 AM.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

That shop manual is a good buy and will show in better detail how things works and how to repair .
    Most auto. parts stores have code readers that will work for your car ( app. 100 to 130 $$ ) Just a note that the codes are the way to diag. and not to read
    only the codes but to look at the sys. ( example : a
    O-2 sensor code may not be a defective O-2 Sensor
    but a vacuum leak ,etc. ) HTH
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

mpmahan Guest

Thanks for the tips

Ebay is probably the best place to get factory manuals - Thanks for the tip. I've researched code readers and found a site that lists various software packages with OBD adapters. http://www.obd2allinone.com/sc/toplevel.asp?cat=2

It seems like TTS Datamaster might be the best - you can log OBD data as you drive and review plots later for clues. Does anyone have any advice on this type of software?

This site seems to have the best prices. http://www.akmcables.com/

Thanks - Mark