- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: I think I blew it

Rivup1 Guest

I think I blew it

I drive a 1963 Riviera with the 401 nailhead. Love the car. I drove it last weekend and the "hot" light came on at a stop light. I immediately heard a knocking when I moved away from the stop light to pull over. I started it up a week later in the garage and it revs up nice, no problems. I backed it out of the garage, no problems. I slowly accelerated...problems...knocking noise under low acceleration. I pulled it back into the garage, put it in park, slight rev..no noise. Now what ? No leaks, oil is full, coolant is full. Is it a rod ? crankshaft ? I'm calling my mechaninc friend in the morning.

'63 Riv

It sounds to me like a rod knock. How many miles are on the engine?
    If it has more than 108,000 miles, I'll bet you that it's a rod bearing that has spun on the journal.
    Airy Cat

1954 41D
    1955 46R
    1956 63D
    1998 Jeep Wrangler
    2007 Corvette Coupe

Are you saying you have no eng. knock in rev. ? That would indicate a broken flywheel .
    With a rod noise it would be the same in all gears . You can short out the cyls. one at a time to find the one at fault if it's a rod brg.
    With the flywheel you can remove the trans. dust cover and sometiimes you can see the broken or cracked flywheel at the center near the crankshaft bolts. I hope it's the flywheel . Good Luck
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

Rods knock all the time not just sometimes. If it got hot enough you may have lost the head gaskets as that is quite common for a Buick. I have changed headgaskets on Buicks that were so hot the rubber boots around the plug wire ends melted and they were fine after new gaskets and a valve grind. When they get hot sometimes a piece of carbon will break loose and it sounds really bad however you can't short it out to make it go away the way you can with a rod knock. It also sounds different so once you know what to listen for you will know what it is.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Rivup1 Guest

Good answers guys

I spoke to my mechanic friend yesterday. He mentioned the flywheel too. He said it could have cracked. It could make sense because I have felt some vibration in the driveshaft area before. Maybe the hot driving condition caused some expansion or load and finally busted it. Well if it's the flywheel I'll feel a lot better. I have a son in college and my wife would like new dining room furniture. Let's hope it's the flywheel.