Thread: Rebuilding Master Cylinder 1962 Buick

Rebuilding Master Cylinder 1962 Buick

The following information is nothing more than my way to do something, so if you try it and it doesn't work out I am not responsible.

Bill had a problem recently with his master cylinder and when he took it apart it was different from anything he worked on before as the piston is built onto the power booster rod rather than being part of the master cylinder assy. Here is a picture of the piston.

There are also some shims that allow the proper adjustments to be made but if you are reinstalling the same master cylinder use the same shims and it should be ok. (Just don't lose them) You will need to check your service manual for the adjustment procedure.

The kit for this year is no longer available so it needs to be made up from a kit for any 1 inch bore Delco master cylinder. You will need two 1 inch lip seals, which need to be installed with the lip pointing away from the booster. Be sure to lube them good and don't let them twist or get torn as you put them in their seats. The piston is not available so be careful with it. After honing and cleaning the cylinder bore place the rubber donut in the bottom of the cylinder and install the old spring with a new cup valve. Lube up the solid 1 inch rubber cup with the copper ring and install it with the lips facing the bottom of the cylinder. (You will be looking at the copper ring)

Lube the cylinder bore and carefully install the cylinder on the booster drawing it up evenly.

Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Froggystyle Guest

Jim is da man!!!!!

cant wait to get this installed.. thanks a ton jim.. I thought i was going crazy or something with this set up turns out im not

Bill