- Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual Transmission Nightmare

Jason Scott Guest

Unhappy Manual Transmission Nightmare

Help, I have a 53 2dr Special with a manual trans. Car has been in the shop for a month and the guys can't figure it out. I brought the car in to have the transmission redone, it was leaking badly from the torque tube and had a clicking noise upon acceleration in first gear. Other than that, it operated fine. I had the clutch replaced last year and new pilot and throwout bearings were installed. The shop had me order a cluster gear, small parts kit, and a low and reverse gear. They installed the small parts kit, and the cluster gear, but the low/reverse was OK. Now when runninng with the clutch released, a loud "Whirring or rubbing" is heard, when the clutch is depressed, it disappears. The car shifts though the gears OK, but this "Whir" is always there now. It made this noise before when I brought it in, but it was hardly noticable. The shop cannot figure it out, but think I should order a new main drive gear hoping that this will solve the problem. I've gotten other opinions from other technicians, they say to check the pilot bearing adjustment, but my shop owner says this is fine. We are all really getting frustrated with this, any ideas out there???????? Thanks. Jason

I don't think it's your pilot bearing, because that only should make noise when the clutch is pushed in...
    1953 Special Riviera 45R
    1965 Skylark Hardtop 300-4V
    1965 Mustang (in the family since 1968)
    1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
    1965 Dodge Dart 170 Wagon
    1974 Pontiac Firebird Esprit

This sounds like your clutch release brg. HTH
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

Clutch

I put a Corvette clutch in my 51. Best thing I did to that car, it works so well and engages and disengages so smooth. It goes right in all I had to do is lengthen the adjustment rod. ~T~

Tbone, what are the specs on the vette clutch?? did U replace the entire clutch setup, or just a couple pieces???

OLe JIM Guest

Manual Nightmare?

I dono? on Auto trannies? but in re-building Ole Gear trannies! as their very Simple really--as theirs Not much that can go wrong?--as some thing?? is Rubbing some thing?--as when I finish One I*M Doing!-I power it w/ a HD Electric Drill-& Run it through all its Gears!--w/ just enough Oil to keep all the Gears Lubed--as All Gear trannies transfer Power in 90* angels--& most problems--are caused by Spacers!--as Touque puts Strain on areas seperated--as All Gears Walk a Bit--so I personally would Look for Your Wheering problem in those Areas!--& at Times! WE all over look some Simple Thing?--that Can & often Does?--Drive even the Best Mechanic NUTS?--&YEH! I have been THERE!--Ole JIM--

ChrisJ

Either your input gear bearing is bad or the new cluster gear and old input gear aren't meshing right. My $ is on the input bearing. Hope this helps.
    chrisj

I agree with Chris, it almost has to be the input bearing or the needle bearings between the main shaft and input shaft. if the main shaft was worn and new bearings were installed it would make more noise rather than less.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

question for tbone

what year vet and size of the cluch did you install in your 1951 buick? also do you or does any else know where i can purchase a standard trasmission for a 1952 buick special. thanks. old buick nut.

Simple throwout bearing test: with the tranny in neutral, engine running (as described previously) slowly push the clutch pedal, but NOT all the way. If light to medium pressure makes the sound disappear, or diminish noticeably, then it's the throwout bearing. If the sound only goes away with the clutch fully released, then I'd suspect an internal tranny problem. Zach