Thread: Pesky Cooling System Leak

Pesky Cooling System Leak

I have a pesky leak -- not one to cause any worry - just that everytime I drive my 56 Roadmaster I end up with a small puddle of anti-freeze sitting on the right front of the block (value lifter cover). I replaced the O ring (and other gaskets) for the water manifold, but after some garage time idling I still see the puddle.

Is this a common "leak" for the 322?

I see my shop manual recommends "Radiator Stop Leak and Conditioner" be used when using anti-freeze. Has anyone had a similar leak and it was fixed with the "Stop Leak"?

I've always stayed away from any "liquid leak fixers" since I assumed they would plug more than the leak and possibly leave residue someplace else.

BJ

Pesky Water Leak

Just a stupid question for you.............are you sure it is from the block and not the radiator overflow?

If your radiator cap leaks a little bit you could be getting some drips from the passenger side (you said right and I was not sure if you meant passenger or driver side sorry) overflow hose

Bob

Passenger side = right side ---- well -- I suppose it could be from the overflow or the cap but that would mean it would need to follow the hose from the radiator over to the block. I would have thought I would see drips on other places, especially on the radiator hose itself and that appears clean as can be. I would also have expected some type of residue trail on the hose or at least some residue on the radiator itself -- which I haven't seen.

The puddle sits on top of the block and not under the car. That is why I questioned the O ring on the manifold since it sits "real" close to that joint.

Never hurts to double check / verify the obvious though -- thanks.

BJ

Pesky Leak

Sorry didn't realize the puddle was on top of the block......must have misread the post

Bob

Cylinder head gasket?

I guess the only thing to leak and cause that antifreeze puddle on top of the block is the cylinder head gasket. (or in worst case a crack in the cylinder head) I had the same problem after reassembling my engine but some after-tightening of the cylinder head bolts and a small amount of coolant system sealer solved it!
    Soulbrother

Bob -- no problem -- I miss info in posts all the time --

soulbrother -- good suggestion. I'll get out the old torque wrench and check them out.

BJ