Thread: 89 Riv Touch Screen is out of touch

89 Riv Touch Screen is out of touch

The touch pad screen in my 89 riv has lost It's vertical hold and spins sideways.Are there any fixes for this problem short of replacement?Thanx , Dwight Thoune

I thought they only did touchscreens from 1986 - 1988.

Anyhow if I remember correctly, that is probably caused by a bad ground. It is a big chore, but you might want to open up the console / dash and see if any of the grounds look bad.

I think there is a place in Connecticut that will rebuild these, but the cost is probably as much as you paid for the car...

-Bob C.

89 Riv

Thanx for the info.I was thinking it was a loose connection as a bump in the road will get it spinning.The car is in good original shape ,I'm the 3rd owner and I don't believe it was driven much in the winter.The headliner is sagging in places.Does any one have a fix for that without replacing the whole headliner?Dwight Thoune

Same thing happened to my headliner. I looked for quite a while to try for a "cheap fix" but wound up paying a couple hundred bucks to have a shop do it. I think the factory glue just dries up after a while, and it is difficult to repair on the cheap.

Did you get your screen working with the "bump" method?

-Bob C.

89 Riv headliner

Thanks Bob C. I was afraid there wouldn't be an easy fix for the headliner.I drove the Riv yesterday and the screen worked fine,but that's the way it is.Hit and miss.I've just returned from a trip to Flint and was saddened by the condition of my home town.I have some old pictures of the Buick complex in Flint, would anyone like to see them? Bye Dwight Thoune