From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-Chroming Versus Powder Coating or Painting

Quote Originally Posted by tbone
    I don't think Devo was ever "in" They wore planters on their heads because people threw things at them while on stage. When did old cars and old school cars go out? ~T~
    "Old cars and Old school cars" are not "out". But like a high jacked 70 Charger with foot long shackles on the rear springs and N50 tires sticking out of the wheel wells six inchs, "dipping" a car IS.

I may be wrong but I don't see in the original post anything about "shaving" chrome off the car other than the door handles. Customizing, sure, you do what you want. Shaving chrome off is an age old custom trick, he is talking about painting all the chrome pieces and bolting them on. It was a common trend (one that died rather quickly) back in the eighties called "dipping".

I am sorry, I don't make up the rules, it is out of style.

Brian
    "Fan of anything that moves human beings"
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1948 Chevy P.U.
    1959 Rambler American, yeah I said Rambler, you want to make something of it punk?

Re-Chrome versus Painting

The reason I am considerign this is two fold.............one is the cost of re-chroming and the other is the look...............just wondering the sentiments of the group.....didn't mean to start controversy

Bob

Something just hit me that explains it much better. This just isn't a "style" like levis were in the fifties, it is a "fad" like cuffed bell bottoms where in the seventies.

Like the cuffed bell bottoms "dipping" the car will make it "dated" and "out of style".

Honestly, I would leave the chrome in poor condition with the best fine steelwool cleaning you can give it until you can afford the re-chroming.

Brian
    "Fan of anything that moves human beings"
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1948 Chevy P.U.
    1959 Rambler American, yeah I said Rambler, you want to make something of it punk?

Thumbs down Colorizing Buick Bumpers

Hey Guys

Ask yourself this question.

If the Mona Lisa had "Chapped Lips" Would You try to consel the defect by adding Lip-Stick on "Mona Lisa's Smile?

Buick Bumpers and Grilles are part of their design legecy along with "Venti-Ports" and "Sweep-Spears"

Colorizing a bumper would compromise it's intregity.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Last edited by Tom Gallagher; 06-03-2006 at 04:20 PM.
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

archangel Guest

Powder coating is here to stay, and better than ever!

I worked (a couple of months) for Goodrich Technology in Pittsburgh, CA and did the *PermaStar* Chrome like powder coating, both bright chrome and dark chrome.

It looked good on everything we put it on, was cheaper, cleaner, and faster than old school chrome and except for one (patented and secret) step, was as easy as standard powder coating process.

It's the only way to go today.

FYI
    In Europe, they are implementing a law that the manufacturer is responsible for the poisons in any chrome they make and sell, so they will have to collect and properly dispose any chrome item they sell, and that's HUGE MONEY down the drain!

Enter powder coating chrome with no poisons what so ever to threaten the environment.

It will be a short time before the USA does this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bates
    Ok.....this may be sacrilege but I have to ask............has anyone either powder coated or painted there chrome parts to match rather than re-chroming?

I am looking at the pieces and the car and thought it would look hot without any chrome showing including door handles (would put in poppers) and was just wondering what people thought about that idea........any takers?

BOB

Hey Archangel,
    I believe Bob was talking about powder coating to match the color of the vehicle as an aesthetic choice, not just looking for an alternative to rechroming. I know very little about powder coating. Are you saying you can get the same finish as chrome with powder coating? Is it good enough for show cars, or could a good eye tell the diference?
    scott

a good eye will always be able to see the difference. Ones a chemical reaction, and the other is a different way to "paint"/color/finish something.
    -jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

chrome vrs paint

Again, you asked about painting chrome parts, opinions, Chrome is expensive, and paint is cheaper, powder coat is an option, removing chrome trim is also, shaving handles and adding poppers like you said. Right now at shows, and all over the streets of Ca. you see the whole range of things done to cars from box stock original, to parts swapped from other cars to painted chrome. Options to re-chroming include, different trim, decking, shaving, different grill, painting headlight and tail light trim to match paint is very acceptable as a custom touch. Bumpers painted flat black is a option, removing big bulky bumpers for smaller lighter bumpers from another model is done a lot. Rules are, there are no rules, there's people who follow what others do, and those that do their own thing and don't let people say "that’s out". They start trends. Its your car and you can do what you like. You want all stock Buick parts and stock chrome you might have to pay to get it. You run with a kustom crowd there's more options and less rules. It's all geographical also, the styles, the access to parts in other parts of the country or world. You say raised rears with shackles is out and some guy in the south says "hey, that’s my car and its cool". Most people like 52 Buick trim over 51, that’s why it's on all those Mercs and other customs. It's not sacrilege, to take off anything Buick put on your car that you don’t like, it's your car. I personally, am done with 60's and 70's muscle cars, been there, done that, reminds me of rednecks and Dukes of Hazard. I don't care for cars after the mid fifties right now. That's me and my thing, do yours. What's outdated is in the next guys closet and part of his daily wardrobe. It's the same sad thing with motorcycles, those that start trends and do their own thing and those that follow like sheep. "I don't make the rules" and neither does any one else. ~T~

Paso show

Scott, Paso was great as usual, Gene Winfield, Barris, Cole Foster, Dorr, Hot Dog. Locals and cars from afar. New trends, old school, cruisers, lead sleds, trucks. weather was good. The Primer Nationals are Labor Day now in Ventura. Like to see your ride there sometime. ~T~

Mona Lisa?

Some times I think you guys take these Buicks way too serious. It's great to be a fan of something, but its a car, restore it and show it, or drive it hard and race it, or let it rust and cruise it, its yours to do with as YOU like. Mona Lisa's they are not. ~T~