From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-Chroming Versus Powder Coating or Painting

Re-Chroming Versus Powder Coating or Painting

Ok.....this may be sacrilege but I have to ask............has anyone either powder coated or painted there chrome parts to match rather than re-chroming?

I am looking at the pieces and the car and thought it would look hot without any chrome showing including door handles (would put in poppers) and was just wondering what people thought about that idea........any takers?

BOB

Honestly, other than "shaving" the door handles, you are about twenty years too late with the painting the chrome the color of the car. "Dipping" a car went out with DEVO and Pink pastel paint jobs.

Brian
    "Fan of anything that moves human beings"
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1948 Chevy P.U.
    1959 Rambler American, yeah I said Rambler, you want to make something of it punk?

What year and make? I like cars with or without chrome. I like an early Chevy or Buick "bomb" that is fully accessorized. I also like a clean lead sled that has been stripped of everything. It depends what you are going for. Personally, I have never seen a painted bumper that I liked. I don't know what chrome pieces you are thinking of painting, but it seems like an odd thing to do. Tell us some specifics you're thinking about, I always keep an open mind.
    scott

Im a big fan of powder coating personally. Also a big fan of black chrome (depending on the aplication) black chrome may possibly be the coolest looking stuff in the world.

Its all on taste, do what you want. then again im a little crazy

-jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

Painted Chrome

I have a 1955 Buick Special 4 Door

Saw a few vehicles during my travels last weekend and thought it might be less expensive and look "cool" to do that procedure

Bob

Hey, it's all a matter of taste. If you think you'll like it, go for it. Post some pics so we can see too. Here's a link to a site with tons of custom car photos.
    http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/
    Maybe you can find some examples of what you're thinking of.
    scott

paint

As mentioned its all your taste, your style. I like dechromed, shaved, nosed, decked, I like flat paint with gloss tops, flaked tops, laced tops, chopped tops, lowered, on early 50s, they look great. I've seen the grill bars painted to match. I just had my dash, nose, and deck pinstriped by Jesse James painter Hot Dog at the Paso Robles Show. He stripped my 47 Indian also. It's all about what you want and how you pull it off. I dont want my car to look like someones Grandma's car, But hey, That's what we do in California, chop it, drop it, what ever you want. Depends on the crowd you run with, and what you want. You can see pictures on line Primer Nationals, Paso Robles Car Show, or Viva Las Vegas. They don't play Beach Boys music there, or wear Hawaiian shirts there either. ~T~

Devo?

I don't think Devo was ever "in" They wore planters on their heads because people threw things at them while on stage. When did old cars and old school cars go out? ~T~

[quote=tbone]I just had my dash, nose, and deck pinstriped by Jesse James painter Hot Dog at the Paso Robles Show. quote]

~T~
    How was Paso this year? Now that I'm in Portland, I'll be missing most of my favorite shows like Paso and Billetproof
    scott

Quote Originally Posted by chub chub
    Hey, it's all a matter of taste. If you think you'll like it, go for it. Post some pics so we can see too. Here's a link to a site with tons of custom car photos.
    http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/
    Maybe you can find some examples of what you're thinking of.
    Great site chub chub. thanks for the link.
    1955 Buick Special 2dr HT