Thread: straight 8 swaps.

Question straight 8 swaps.

help;
    can anyone tell me if a later model nailhead will bolt in where a straight 8 once resided without special adapters??? also i have heard that a c4 will bolt up to a straight 8. if so it seems that an aod with c4 pattern should do the same. same question about nailhead trans. will straight eight and nailhead trans interchange in any year model or size eng.
    All comments appreciated.
    TKS
    DAN
    DAN

The straight 8 and the V8 are NOT interchangeable. You will need an adaptor to put anything but a Buick tranny on the straight 8 and will need to change the rear end to an open drive
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous

Tranny

Where it is true you have to change the drive train, a c4 WILL bolt right up to a straight 8. I've seen it done. Call Gerry Duttweiler 805 598-9693. He has a c4 bolted to a straight eight and races it. He's no youngster, and has been building Buicks since before I started driving, and I'm no youngster. ~T~

Wow! That would be great if I could bolt a AOD behind my 1952 straight 8. I wonder if it will bolt up behind my 53 V8.

Rather than all of us flooding someone with calls I contacted him and found out that we are the same age.

Gerry does not recomend the overdrive transmission as it puts the engine in the wrong rpm range and is also harmfull to the main bearings.

The C4 will bolt up to the bellhousing for the Dynaflow with very little modification but needs a small spacer ring of about 1/16" to center the unit. There are also 2 other spacers that he made up to mount the torque converter to the back of the crank. The AOD won't work as the bell housing set up does not bolt on like the C4 does.

The 62 and later engines will take a Turbo 400 but they are really not any better than the late model Dynaflows for performance.

After talking with Gerry I think I will keep the 62 Dynaflow behind the 401 and use the rear axle from the 62.

Gerry also said it is possible to adapt 54 to 56 front control arms onto the 53 frame so I could use a different front shock.
    Last edited by Jim Carmichael; 05-12-2006 at 12:41 PM.
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Trans work

I put Gerry's phone no. on the board a few times after checking with him first. Once for a member looking for a rebuild in Ca. and for a few guys that wanted headers made for a straight eight, that he makes, and is making a set for some one now, from my referal. He is however busy building a new shop and I put the post up for Dan in referance to his question. So...where he appreciates the referral when it involves work, I hesitate to throw his no. out in cyber space as I don't want to be responsible for a bunch of calls with random questions. That's what these forums are good for, however not everyone is on line, or has the time to chat. Thanks I'm sure you understand. ~T~